Author Topic: 69z28 stripes  (Read 2752 times)

69z28fan

• View Profile
69z28 stripes
« on: May 25, 2019, 04:15:55 AM »
Hello, I'm interested in a 69z but it appears when the car was re-painted the gap between the wide stripe and the pin stripe is about twice as wide as it should be. Looks like the pinstripe is a little wider, same width as the space between the two. Not looking for a show car, but would that have much of a negative affect on the value? I love the car otherwise.

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: 69z28 stripes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 06:56:55 AM »
I guess it would matter if it is a drive train numbers matching car. The engine is the heart of it all. If that is not original born with to the car, than it would begin to be OK for the paint to be incorrect. Then the trans and rear axle follow close behind. If it all is verified, inspected as a numbers matching REAL Z/28... THEN that would NOT be good. A complete paint job or even a correction of the hood/cowl/deck lid etc., would be thousands of dollars. Lots more to consider like the asking price, and how bad you want it, or if you even CARE if it's all original. Then you have components. They can be costly if missing. The dist., carb, generator, smog, manifolds both intake and exhaust, water pump, clutch & Fan IF missing, can add up to a quick TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! If I was you, I would post pictures here, of all the numbers you can find on the engine, trans and rear axle. Better make sure it's the real deal FIRST. If not, buy it and most of all have fun with it. Danny

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
Can you post pictures showing the stripes, ideally with a measurement reference like a rule or tape measure?
Also what is the build week on the trim tag, and assembly plant?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
From what I remember, the pin stripe width as well as distance varied slightly from plant and build time frame.  Mine for example is a Dec Norwood car with some of it's original striping left.  The pin stripe measures about 9/32 wide and slightly tighter in distance, but this varies in places throughout the stripe as they weren't applied with exacting tolerances and those differences are hard to even detect with the naked eye, but a tape measure shows the inconsistencies.  My stripes even have a factory blooper on the cowl panel that is known to be common from Norwood cars in this build time frame.

A build time and plant would be helpful along with a picture of measurements.   

69z28fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
I'm trying to add a photo, unfortunately it's making everything in my pictures file available.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »
From what I remember, the pin stripe width as well as distance varied slightly from plant and build time frame.  Mine for example is a Dec Norwood car with some of it's original striping left.  The pin stripe measures about 9/32 wide and slightly tighter in distance, but this varies in places throughout the stripe as they weren't applied with exacting tolerances and those differences are hard to even detect with the naked eye, but a tape measure shows the inconsistencies.  My stripes even have a factory blooper on the cowl panel that is known to be common from Norwood cars in this build time frame.

A build time and plant would be helpful along with a picture of measurements.   

I've noticed the same thing about the original pin stripes.   It is my belief that the pinstripe, and the distance between it and the main stripe was intended to be 1/4", but the paint control at the edge of the tape is not perfect and thus the stripe edges 'bleed' a little (for lack of a better term) and thus make the space smaller and the paint wider (which is most evident with the pin stripe)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan