Author Topic: center link restoration 69 z  (Read 4345 times)

john302

• View Profile
center link restoration 69 z
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
Getting ready to restore my centerlink. Its in nice condition with the paint marking still intact. It has a blue/grey heat treated look to it. Has anyone had any luck to duplicate that same look?thanks

uscrichter

• View Profile
Re: center link restoration 69 z
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »
Yes, I have used bluing compound past which is readily available at gun shops and looks very close to the heat treated look, you can simply wipe it on and re-apply multiple times to darken it more if necessary and it is a fair rust preventative, the Corvette restorer's use it frequently .

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
John, I just completed the restoration of the drag/center link on my 1969 Camaro project. I experimented with cold bluing which didn’t achieve the results I was looking for, possibly because the pre-restoration condition of the link wasn’t ideal. Instead I stripped the link and did hot bluing which turned out exceptionally well. Here is a link to my build thread where you’ll find photos and a description of the process (Postings 338 & 339). If you have questions let me know.
https://www.Camaro.net/forums/#/topics/337897?page=34

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »
John, it sounds as though yours might be as nice as mine was to start with.   Mine being a rust free AZ car, none of the suspension parts have any pitting on them and all the paint markings are still very visible.

On my center link, it still had it's natural heat treat color on most of it along with a white paint dab.   I simply soaked mine in evaporust being careful on the time frame so as not to remove the paint dab.  It came out like brand new.  I put a dusting of flat clear on it to preserve it.

Actually did the entire front suspension this way to preserve it for a later restoration.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
I've also used the bluing method. And being in the northeast followed by a light coating of matte clear. Not to hijack the thread but what are people seeing with the drag link paint dabs ? Wondering if they are different between manual and power steering. thanks

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
On the ones that I have restored, there was a white  rings with drip marks going vertical like they were hung vertically when the paint dab was applied.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
Here is one I just finished using the bluing technique.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
Pre restoration inspection marks on my 1969 Z center/drag link:

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »
I cold blued mine back several years ago on our 68Z and it had a blue dab of paint on it. Guess I was fortunate as I've cold blued 2 others and they all came out nicely. One in our 68 looks great and is treated with a rust preventative only. Note: Normally it takes at least two applications of the cold bluing process to achieve the needed results or at least what I found. The last one I did for our 67 Corvette was three applications and it was a little too dark IMO. But overall the bluing process of either cold/hot is the way to go. I've tried three different types of cold bluing and they all seem to work approximately the same.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:15 AM »
69 LOS Pace car
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
I've also used the bluing method. And being in the northeast followed by a light coating of matte clear. Not to hijack the thread but what are people seeing with the drag link paint dabs ? Wondering if they are different between manual and power steering. thanks

Not dabs, but a fairly abundant amount of red, both ends. No trace of red on the other steering components,which are original to the car. Clearly red, not orange.

I cold blued mine, was happy with the results,,,Well, after posting no oxidation, did have some very light appear. Simply redid, and treated with Sharkhide. Has been fine. Also, since car is always on the lift, occasionally wipe down non-painted parts with Rem-oil,wipes. Springs,etc. Very humid off the lake in NE Ohio. Manual gear box, April build if you are hunting for data.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..