Author Topic: Oil Pan and Windage Tray  (Read 7052 times)

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pan and Windage Tray
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »
Clean all the oil off then hit the bell housing with talcum powder.  I would look for a leak at the back of the intake manifold or the oil pressure port/line area. Oil will run downhill when you are not moving.  It goes all over the place when you drive.

Here's the back of the block before the pan was dropped, no changes to oil pressure sender, intake, valve covers during pan replacement:

I used the Fel-Pro one piece, straightened the pan rails to parallel. Will drop rear of pan to be absolutely certain the gasket tangs fit into the block depressions....but if they didn't, I'd have leakage down the back of the pan, which I don't........only between trans and bellhousing mating surfaces. It is not gear lube.

This is weird....and I am totally befuddled, even more than normal.

paul

Paul,
But is the surface dry at the top back of the block and upper outside part of bell housing?  You have oil at the bottom rear of the bell housing where the tranny bolts up so it will either be running inside the bell housing or on the outside the bell housing.  If you jacked the engine up, the oil pressure gauge line could have been dislodged or kinked.  Just throwing it out there.

The inside of the bell housing could have an oil trail if it was a leak inside there.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
I think I have posted this before. Remove the PCV, the filler cap, and duct tape all openings semi air tight. Blow smoke in the crankcase (canned or real if you have a smoker). Add some compressed air (low pressure) and watch the engine. For me it has shown leaks that frustrated me to no end. My friend who runs an auto repair shop and they do it frequently. Keep the pressure low or you will create a new leak.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »
How many psi is low?
Kurt S
CRG

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
On your pickup I have seen the weld crack when you try to weld the pickup to the pump ... I make a little sheetmetal bracket & weld it to the pickup & bolt it to the pump ...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 08:54:25 PM »
I never measured the PSI but with duct tape over openings I would think 5 or less. Just enough to create enough pressure in the crankcase for the smoke to show you the leak. When the engine is running blowby does the same thing, you just can,t see it well with the engine running. Rear corners of the intake, valve covers, and the disributer are generally the culbrit but intake gaskets and bolts are on the list.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition