Author Topic: Stamp anomalies  (Read 2906 times)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
Stamp anomalies
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
This is a well documented car on ebay that has been judged as having authentic stamps. I am not disputing that, just trying to learn more.
The VIN stamps just look hand stamped and unevenly spaced to me. Was this normal for this time period?
Also, if it was gang stamped and they only incremented the VIN stamps, would there be other VIN stamps near this one with the upside down 8 in the database?

And here is the rear axle stamp, done twice with different dates. Was it the wrong date stamped the first time, or was it sent back for rework and restamped with the new date?

Roadent56

• View Profile
Re: Stamp anomalies
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
I worked in an Impala plant Janesville Wi. In the late 70s we were still using a single stamp with interchangeable numbers and letters.
There is a great set of pictures in the Corvette forum
 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3804811-how-were-the-engine-pad-numbers-stamped.html
This will give you an idea how the factory did it.

What you don't see is the assembler doing this surely had a couple other things to do like tighten 3 bolts, and a hose clamp. They also had to read the broadcast sheet hanging above the engine and verify the correct VIN (they were not always sequential) was loaded in their stamp which obviously changed every engine/trans. Oh and repeat every 50-60 seconds.

As far as individual stamping single characters on an engine or transmission? The repairman down the line would have used the same type of stamp tool. The repairman in the heavy repair stalls at the back of the plant might (unlikely) have used individual characters. The mechanic in a dealership? No idea I never worked in one.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
In the case of the rear axle stamp, wouldn't that have been done at the gear and axle plant? New stamp changed the date by 7 days. The axle plant correcting an error seems like the only reasonable explanation. No reason for anyone else to change it.
Jimmy V.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 09:10:06 PM »
We generally don’t openly discuss VIN stamps. But as mentioned, it depended on how the person loading the stamper loaded it.

On the axle stamp, in 1968 April 23 and April 30 were both Saturdays. Both done on first shift. Only speculation, but maybe the worker had a rough Friday night and too many drinks. Loaded and stamped wrong date and then either he or somebody else caught it soon after.

Uncommon ratios were built as needed so it’s possible the last previous date used was the week before, and maybe forgot to change the date.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:10:39 AM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »
We generally don’t openly discuss VIN stamps. But as mentioned, it depended on how the person loading the stamper loaded it.

On the axle stamp, in 1968 April 23 and April 30 were both Saturdays. Both done on first shift. Only speculation, but maybe the worker had a rough Friday night and too many drinks. Loaded and  stamped wrong date and then either he or somebody else caught it soon after.

Uncommon ratios were built as needed so it’s possible the last previous date used was the week before, and maybe forgot to change the date.

We discuss stamps all the time, we just don't disclose what makes them authentic or not in order to reduce fraud.

Most high end fraudsters already know what the stamp procedure was and how they should look. The key to spotting restamps is a data base of good stamps for that time period. I asked if anyone with access to the data base has seen VIN stamps near this one with upside down 8 and odd alignment.  I got crickets. That's OK, I don't really need to know.

Interesting that the axle stamp is a week apart, and on the first shift. Certainly could have been both stamped on the same date because of looking at the wrong calendar week. You don't have to be hungover to make that mistake. Seems like many anomalies are blamed on careless or disgruntled workers. Not sure if that is true, but makes a good story.

BTW, the car bid over 70K and did not meet reserve.

anything