Author Topic: engine VIN location  (Read 9840 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: engine VIN location
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
Unless you are confident in assessing partial VIN stamps and if a TT has been off the car, I would not agree with Larry that a partial VIN match to an X-coded NOR car confirms Z/28 with factory block. There are known examples where a savvy person has found a trim tag from a donor car and put it on another car with a VIN from the right timeframe. Especially if the block has been decked but still has a partial that matches car.
Just cautioning the OP to tread carefully, do research and due diligence. Considering a $55k purchase for most is a significant thing, no need to go in with the heart not the head.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:09:54 PM »
Listen to Tim. I agree with him. Unfortunately when money is involved, there are unscrupulous people wanting to cash in.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
Here is the link to the Z28 with the decked block (www.bobosrodsandcustoms.com/1969-chevrolet-camaro-z28-62900-00/ check it out ant tell my what you think .

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 11:41:18 PM »
The car i am talking about is not on Ebay , it is Fathom Green , not the White one on Ebay

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »
I'm always leery of ads that don't post pictures of the trim tag and engine pad. Do you know what the VIN is and do you have a picture of the trim tag?

Ed

G Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 11:52:53 PM »
i will have all pictures tomorrow

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 12:34:19 AM »
Valve covers are backwards, no smog + wrong exhaust manifolds, spray bombed undercarriage. Proceed with caution and post those pics fast!
Doc.   

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:34:35 AM »
I looked the car over and for 56,000 it has some items that are not restored right to start with. The PBT stamps should be one color, no smog, exhaust manifolds dont have smog fitting that I can see so thats not right, looks like 70 valve covers, they look like to much shine for originals.   Should a green interior have black headrests?? Looks like green interior on my monitor. The intake manifold should not have the oil fill tube. With those items I would look it over good I think the color and the block situation does hurt the value also.  Too much green for me. Then theres the undercoating on the bottom of the floor pan.

1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 01:26:27 AM »
There are known examples of the PBT stamps being two different colors.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 02:08:39 AM »
Original dark green headrests fade to black.
Kurt S
CRG

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 02:08:47 AM »
Thanks so much for the help , this is a buy or not buy situation for me , i will post some more pertinent info tomorrow , stamps ,vin cowl tag and so on , i refuse to believe a decked block should nix the deal if all else points to Original Z28
there is V0I9DZ on the pad but i can't see a VIN i will look very close tomorrow . thank you so much my stress level is less the more input i get

Just keep in mind for verification of original block without a deck stamp to be viable, you have to be certain the trim tag and vin tag have never been tampered with and are legit....AND...certain the vin stamped at the oil filter pad is also legit.    In which case as I said, then you can be fairly confident it's still the original engine to the car regardless of being decked.   If there is in fact a JM report on the car, this will likely be pointed out.

I've known this process to be used on some non x-code Z's as a way to verify the cars origin or authenticity, and how some cars have been discovered,  so to say it's not a viable method of documentation on what is known as a real Z to check for it's original block that is missing it's DZ stamp is somewhat hypocritical. 

It's just an area that has to be looked at carefully before laying down money.  As others said, the 69 Z is probably the most cloned car in history and there is a lot of that to go around when there is money to be made.  If the tags looks tampered with or off in any way, or the vin doesn't match up with other stamps of the period or looks off in any way, or the vin simply isn't legible which is very common, I'd walk away.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 02:19:50 AM »
Unless you are confident in assessing partial VIN stamps and if a TT has been off the car, I would not agree with Larry that a partial VIN match to an X-coded NOR car confirms Z/28 with factory block.

Your first sentence is the key, and I pointed that out, I thought I was clear on that.  Not trying to mislead anyone.  The fact is.....  If the X-code TT is original and never removed, as well as the vin tag, and you have a good untampered vin at the oil filter on the block, then you can be pretty darn sure you're looking at a DZ engine original to the car, whether it's decked or not.  If it's all legit, then how could we not think that?  We would be kidding ourselves. 
Some people may not like it, but it's still a pretty solid verification, and how quite a few non X Z's have been verified over the years.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 02:31:38 AM »
If the PTB stamps were original I wouldn't have a problem with 2 different colors.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
Not sure what the 'hypocritical' comment is aimed at.
The OP does not sound confident at assessing the details, so I think it fair to point out that unless you know your way around these cars, get it inspected by someone who does, or pass. We're talking big $$ here for a purchase that may or may not be what it purports to be.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
Tim, agree that someone familiar with the details should look at the car.  My original statement was towards his 3rd posted question which is why I quoted it.  There is no way anyone can deny a Z with it's original engine using the vin stamp alone, as long as things haven't been tampered with. That's what vins are for, and have been used in that fashion to document non x-code cars in a reverse prognosis as well as reuniting lost engines with known cars.  Don't necessarily even need the deck stamp.  That seemed to be the OP's concern since the engine had been decked and asking if the vin would be another way to verify original status, and my response was YES it would be as long as things are untampered.  He didn't seem to be getting a clear answer to that from anyone from what I read.  Just providing reassurance that not all is lost.

He said he would provide more pictures which I'm sure all of us would like to see.  Very hard to get a camera in the oil filter area for a clear vin picture though.   If it has in fact been inspected by JM as mentioned, this stuff should already be documented as well.