Author Topic: sanding initial epoxy primer Question??  (Read 6121 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
sanding initial epoxy primer Question??
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:04:17 PM »
This might be a really stupid question but I have my camaro stripped to bare metal. Im in the procrss of "fixing" what needs to be fixed body wise.  My question is in reference the first primer that will go on the bare metal and inevetably the body work.

Im pretty sure Im going to go with an epoxy primer over bare metal and I was wondering if this initial primer can be block sanded ? This way I can continue to "fix" the low and high spots or should I immediatly use a high filler primer and then start block sanding?

My inital thoughts was to shoot the epoxy primer over bare metal and sand..then fix as necessay . Then shoot a high filler primer and sand again, fix spots and again as necessary.

then, finally shoot a primer/sealer and wet sand?? 

I guess my exact questions are: 1. Can I sand the first stage epoxy primer or should I wait to sand the high filler primers?

2. If at the sealer stage I find spots that need additional putty filler, can this beover the sealer primer just prior to taking it to the paint shop for the base coat?

I have read a ton of different articles but It gets confusing with so many different views?

thanks for the help..

nick p.

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
Re: sanding initial epoxy primer Question??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:35 AM »
I'm no bodyman, but from what I understand, you can block epoxy, but it is very difficult.  Some epoxy primers sand easier than others...and there are people out there that block epoxy, but is is a lot more work.
If I were you , I would direct these questions to:  www.autobodystore.com
Len has a great forum on there that is full of experienced bodyguys that are more than happy to answers questions such as yours.  I enjoy just going through the forum and reading...it is amazing what you will learn.  Hope this helps.

Gambitt

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
I'm no bodyman, but from what I understand, you can block epoxy, but it is very difficult.  Some epoxy primers sand easier than others...and there are people out there that block epoxy, but is is a lot more work.
If I were you , I would direct these questions to:  www.autobodystore.com
Len has a great forum on there that is full of experienced bodyguys that are more than happy to answers questions such as yours.  I enjoy just going through the forum and reading...it is amazing what you will learn.  Hope this helps.

Gambitt

Good advce by Gambitt, I have learned alot at the autobody store message board, lots of pro's hang out there.
Here is what you will find out if you ask enough people about epoxy primer. First off it is the best choice for bare metal. Next read the tech sheet on your brand of primer, most epoxy's stay open for up to a week, and after they cure up they need to be scuffed up before adding more primer. If you recoat within the recoat window you do not need to sand, maybe just hit the spots that trapped any debris.
Epoxy is not ment to sand , and when it is green will really gum up your paper.
I think most pro's will agree, that after your epoxy coat, and within your recoat window, come right behind the epoxy coat with a few coats of 2K sanding primer and go from there blocking and spraying more 2k primer as needed. And as the last step before the color, seal with one slightly over reduced coat of epoxy primer or a dedicated sealer.
                Good luck Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
thanks guys.

This helps a ton and the link will be a great spot for me to grab some advise.

anything