Author Topic: D80 Spoiler Trunk Lid Sealing Tape  (Read 24136 times)

Dusk Blue Z

• View Profile
Re: D80 Spoiler Trunk Lid Sealing Tape
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 08:00:34 PM »
Great job Lloyd.

Now all we need is the "Money Shot" from the inside to see the texture of the glue side of the tape.  ;)

Are you going to be selling the tape kits? I'll need one for the Z10 I am doing.

Mike
Mike

1969 Z/28 Legends Certified
1969 Z-10 Under Construction

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll try to take and post a "money shot" when I finally install the spoiler some time this week - icing on the cake.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
Well not so fast, James G noticed the location of the white stripe looked off-line relative to the Camaro script emblem piercing on the trunk lid. I was pretty sure there was enough original paint on the trunk lid to allow us to duplicate the stripe line however once I took a closer look I concluded it was off for sure, about 1/4 inch off when compared to the stripe line from a photo of my former original paint RS/Z. Seems some paint correction is needed before I can install the spoiler...

Location of Camaro emblem is inboard the white stripe on my former original paint RS/Z

Stripe is located too far inboard by about 1/4" on Brooklyn Z.

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »
Lloyd, Are you sure the stripe is off or is it the emblem positioning ? I’ve noticed lots of difference on both on original cars over the last 50 yrs.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 02:16:55 PM »
Lloyd, Are you sure the stripe is off or is it the emblem positioning ? I’ve noticed lots of difference on both on original cars over the last 50 yrs.

Mike, I have a blueprint-template that was part of a stencil kit I purchased years ago so I dug it out and overlaid it on the trunk lid to assess if the placement of the factory piercings was the problem or if was the stripe placement. The factory piercings located consistent with the template so I concluded, somewhat in denial, that the stripe layout had to be off.

If there are any original paint examples of Norwood stripe misalignments please post them here so we can have a look. 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
I've no idea about 'mis-alignments, but the photo below is of my emblem position (original factory paint) on my mid Sept '69 Z28/RS...  photo was made when I had my rear spoiler removed to replace a stud...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »
Thanks for posting Gary, the deck emblem is also well inboard the main stripe edge.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:20:21 PM by Edgemontvillage »

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
Lloyd,

How did the factory establish position of the paint stripes??   Depending on how that was done in the factory, there very well could have been *differences* from one car to another...  so you might want to 'wait' before repainting your deck lid??  I can't recall ever hearing how that was done (but I wouldn't swear that I haven't heard it and forgotten also!).. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
Lloyd,

How did the factory establish position of the paint stripes??   Depending on how that was done in the factory, there very well could have been *differences* from one car to another...  so you might want to 'wait' before repainting your deck lid??  I can't recall ever hearing how that was done (but I wouldn't swear that I haven't heard it and forgotten also!).. :)

Fair point  - waiting for more data.

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
My CRG post at http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17154.0 might offer some clues on this topic.  I repeated much of it below (with relevant changes) to reply to this post.

I just obtained a copy of the GM Maintenance Products & Standard Stock Catalog 907 (P&A 24) dated March 1970.  Attached, is a photo of the sealing tape listed on page 11 in the Body Service Items section.  It appears that GM sold only two widths of sealing tape as service items, in both cloth and paper material: 1 inch and 2-1/2 inch.  Because GM most likely wouldn't waste money having a different width sealing tape on the assembly line than what they sold over the counter, we can probably assume that the service tape was identical to the factory assembly line tape.  Based on the anecdotal evidence of the various postings on this topic, along with photos of surviving black cloth tape underneath rear spoilers, one can probably conclude that the tape used for sealing trunk holes for a factory rear spoiler install was #5792002, a black cloth back tape, 2-1/2 inches wide.

Bernie
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »
Lloyd, any luck with the "money shot"?
Thanks, Doc.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
Hi Doc, I won't be installing the tape until I have the paint correction done on the stripes. James G (firstgenaddict) posted on some assembly tape that's being produced by DNO in Fresno for early Mustangs that's available in up to 3" widths and seems to have good texture so I'm going to order a role of that to experiment.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 03:07:11 AM »
Just an FYI... I ordered that tape kit with the 3 different sizes. I compared it to several original samples in my possession. Under several spoilers, inside door panels etc. IMO.. not even close to the original. Probably going to try to use mostly all original with a glue stick for tape that has lost its adhesive properties. Nothing against the company. Just NOT impressed...Danny

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »
Just an FYI... I ordered that tape kit with the 3 different sizes. I compared it to several original samples in my possession. Under several spoilers, inside door panels etc. IMO.. not even close to the original. Probably going to try to use mostly all original with a glue stick for tape that has lost its adhesive properties. Nothing against the company. Just NOT impressed...Danny

That's disappointing, thanks for investigating.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2021, 07:31:20 PM »
Again, just my opinion... Maybe wait for more feedback?. ... Danny