Author Topic: Rear shock upper mount plate questions  (Read 1922 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Rear shock upper mount plate questions
« on: March 27, 2019, 02:14:57 PM »
I have three questions about the plates that bolt to the bottom of the trunk floor and that the top of the rear shocks mount to.

1) Would the little bit of these plates that you would see inside the trunk have spatter paint on them? The fact that the spatter paint was applied on the Fisher Body side of the plant.....and that these plates show up in the AIM (the Chevrolet side) would tell me they were installed after spatter paint. I just want to verify this.

2) What is the correct finish of the plates? The ones I bought have what looks like EDP coating on them. The ones shown on HBC's website look like phosphate.

3) The AIM shows PN 3905569 Washer-Sealing to seal the bolt holes in the plate to the trunk floor and some kind of cement (No. 63) to seal the big hole in the plates to the trunk floor. Is this anything special or can you just get by with a little strip caulk to do all of the sealing?

Thanks.....Dave

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Rear shock upper mount plate questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 02:22:52 PM »
I'm doing my 69 right now & I found no evidence of trunk spatter on the upper shock mounts. They were semi gloss black & had the dum-dum on them....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Rear shock upper mount plate questions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
 The plates were originally dip coated. When I did mine I bought a can of Rustoleum semi-gloss enamel and dipped the plates into them to duplicate the smoothness of the paint surface as well as one side holding paint at the metal fold from hanging by one hole. With the now dried run visible it looks authentic!

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything