Author Topic: Upper Control Arm Bumper  (Read 2631 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Upper Control Arm Bumper
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
Anyone have any ideas on how to push new bumpers into the underside of the upper control arms? Probably easy when the arms are off the car, but when on the car it's hard to reach under the arm, and then even harder to push the cone shaped rubber part of the bumper through the Upper control arm hole. Hard to grab from above as well as very little of the bumper cone sticks through the hole. Ideas?
Jimmy V.

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Upper Control Arm Bumper
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »
 Just a thought.....put a lot of dish washing soap on the upper tit,  put rubber in place (the tricky part is holding in place) and using a floor jack, raise the body itself (I use thick rubber under the front chassis rail) which will take weight off the suspension and make the coil spring expand and push the arms down. Maybe that will exert enough force to push the rubber tit through the hole?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:21:19 PM »
Why not just support the lower control arm, loosen the upper ball joint nut and pop the ball joint? Then the upper control arm would be free to move up and down.
Doc.

dtep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »
I neglected to put in the bumper when I was rebuilding the front suspension on my wife's 68.  The front subframe was out of the car on jackstands when I realized my mistake.  I thought that maybe when I got the car back together the weight would compress the spring and there would be enough space to put it in, but it doesn't sound like it based on your original question.  Since I didn't want to wait anyway, I used my spring compressor to take the pressure off the upper control arm, lubed it up and popped it right in.