Author Topic: My horn doesn't work.  (Read 1814 times)

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
My horn doesn't work.
« on: March 24, 2019, 01:41:06 AM »
A couple of years ago my home was broken into and my Camaro's keys were stolen.  I installed a new lock set including the ignition tumbler.  Since then my horn has not worked.  I've had the column apart a couple of times trying to solve this issue.  At this time I'm not seeing a loose wire that looks related to the ignition switch.

I could use some pointers (ideas) on what has happened.  And how to fix.  Help !! 

asm69

• View Profile
Re: My horn doesn't work.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »
Make sure the horn works by applying a 12 volt source to one terminal on the horn and grounding the other terminal on the horn. You will have to pull the plastic connector off the horn first.
If the horn starts to work then you have to determine what is failing. Look at the fuse, horn relay and finally the wiring.

Jek9016

• View Profile
Re: My horn doesn't work.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »
I have a 67 which has the ignition on the dash.  I think the 68 is on the column?  ANy rate, I had a similar problem after I replaced the steering wheel.  So assuming your horn works after testing by connecting to your battery, I installed an auxiliary horn button on the bottom of my dash. 

I also noticed the connectors on the horn in the grill seem to fit loose.  MMay want to check them for tight fit or corrosion.  Did you check your fuse?  I’ve also experienced issues with a good fuse, but very slight rust forms on the terminals.  Just clean by lightly sanding with Emory cloth then apply some dialetrect grease to protect from future corrosion.

Good luck

anything