Author Topic: A Little help on this '68  (Read 2383 times)

jude_champ

• View Profile
A Little help on this '68
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Howdy.  Please excuse my ignorance in advance.  I have a friend from church who purchased a '68 a few years back while attending a car show.  The car was sold to him as an RS/SS and from the street the car looks legit.  Unfortunately he didn't do any research on the car, except what was supplied him by the owner at the time.  The folder of records and receipts is impressive but started with the 2nd owner of the car in roughly '84. 

He is wanting to sell the car. From what i've researched here, and other places, the only accurate way to determine if the car is a true SS car in '68 is with the original block and unfortunately he no longer has that in the car.  I'm guessing that it was taken out by the first or second owner. 

Please don't shoot me here, but I own a 68 Shelby and with Shelby's you can do a Marti Report and there is a record of the vin numbers that go with Shelby cars.  Did GM supply that info to someone to verify cars by the VIN?

I understand that buying the car without verification wasn't ideal but he is where he is.  I have some experience in researching cars and their histories so he asked me to help him with this project.  Thanks for sharing your expertise with an owner of "another" car, lol.  Just for the record I also have an F-body car. :D

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: A Little help on this '68
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:20 PM »
Welcome to the site, but I have bad news for your friend. Chevrolet didn't keep these records UNLESS the car happened to be originally sold in Canada. The only thing we have is the ability to (sometimes) find out which dealer the car was shipped to. Click HERE for more info.

Even if you DO find out the original dealer, the chances that they're still around, or still have the old records, is slim at best, but some have gotten lucky, so give it a try.

Also, we have a very large database of cars, so post the VIN and I can see if we have any history on it.

Good luck
Ed

jude_champ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Thank you Ed.  I'll check out the info you left to see if the dealership is still around. 

124378L342189

Thanks again.

Jude

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:30:44 PM »
Well, that car isn't in the database so unless you can get the original dealer info (and they're still around and have a record of the car), you'll be in the same boat as 99 percent of us!!

Ed

jude_champ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
Thank you very much.  I've reached out to the owner so hopefully we'll have it done soon.  I think I may have found the original owner as well.  Hopefully I can get him to speak to me and give me some info on the car.