Author Topic: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro "Waikiki" Concept Car/Show Car  (Read 9304 times)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
1967 Chevrolet Camaro "Waikiki" Concept Car/Show Car
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:34 PM »
The following information is from a news release from CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION

DETROIT - Already riding high on a wave of popularity, Chevrolet's sporty Camaro is sure to make another big splash with a new auto show version. The "idea car" is a remodeled version of a Camaro SS 350 convertible and was designed specially to demonstrate the car's versatility as a sports-type vehicle. Called the Camaro Waikiki, it is "tailored" for specific use by the sun and surf set.

"The idea is that the Camaro is more than just transportation," said a spokesman for the Chevrolet section which designed the display car. Among the Waikiki's many eye-catching features are a removable surfboard carrier which is attached to the body and extended rear lamps that are green when the driver's foot is on the gas pedal, amber when he takes it off and red when he applies the brake. Side marker lamps are on the front fenders and rear quarter panels. Side-view mirrors are attached to both sides.

Special head lamps are fitted into the teak wood-bar grille.

Teak wood panels running full-length along the sides complement the bright yellow finish above and okra-colored body panels below.

Fifteen-inch G-70 tires are mounted on its wire wheels.

Credit for photos and information to GM.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:49:08 AM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro "Waikiki" Concept Car/Show Car
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:48:14 PM »
Third pic.

Credit for photo to GM.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
 Aloha......Check out that thick shag-like carpet. I haven't seen a rug like that since the 70's in panel vans.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 03:20:36 AM »
:)  I'm suspecting that the grass hula skirt came in the same option package as the shag carpet!  ??  :)

Seriously, the statement that got me was this one ... "Among the Waikiki's many eye-catching features are a removable surfboard carrier which is attached to the body and extended rear lamps that are green when the driver's foot is on the gas pedal, amber when he takes it off and red when he applies the brake."

Why no photo of the rear lamps?  I wanna see 'em....  :)

Was this 'waikiki' model only marketed in Nebraska?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:44:12 AM »
I know they were going for the Hawaiian vibe, but I believe that’s Detroit in the background.

This was a show car only.

So far I do not have a pic of the tail lights.

Kurt and I decided we will be posting other show/concept cars gradually over the next couple of weeks.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:12:23 AM »
That is Detroit, they are in Canada!
The lower door jamb is painted a darker color, unique seats and belts, power windows.
No good rear pics, this is the only one I've see. Can't see the taillights clearly and can't see the board mounting.

Thank you Bryon for posting. My intentions were not becoming reality. :)
Kurt S
CRG

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
I have always like the way this car looked. I was hoping that it would be found some day!
.....however it was most likely crushed by GM...is there a date on that newspaper clipping?

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
Im glad some 'concept cars' never made production. Sorry, boys its ugly! The fake side wood paneling reminds me of my mom's old LTD wagon…yuck! And the wire wheels with the shag carpet…oh boy….someone in the design dept. was on refreshments. lol
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:12:12 PM by crossboss »
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 05:07:26 PM »
No date available on that clipping.
I didn't realize it was a wooden grille.
Kurt S
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 04:08:32 AM »
Here is some information on the Waikiki Concept Car that I posted in my thread on the 1966/1967 Auto Shows:

In the summer of 1967 Chevrolet started showing a wildly customized Camaro convertible at Auto Shows and custom and hot rod shows across the country.  On page 49 of Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History Gary L. Witzenburg writes, “in August, Chevy unveiled another interesting ‘idea’ car called ‘Waikiki.’  Based on an SS-350 convertible, it was ‘tailored’ for specific use by the sun and surf set.”  Although he mentions August for the unveiling, newspapers started publishing articles on the Waikiki in July.  The earliest newspaper article I have been able to find is ironically from the July 14, 1967 edition of the Honolulu Star Bulletin from Honolulu, Hawaii.  The caption underneath a picture of the Camaro Waikiki on page 16 of the July 20, 1967 edition of the Chateaugay Record and Franklin County Democrat from Chateaugay, New York states, “NOW IT’S THE WAIKIKI ON THE BEACH—The unlashing of a surfboard mounted on the rear deck of the Chevrolet idea car, the Waikiki, waits as Bob Schuster and Nancy Ann Townsend are attracted by the graceful movements of Loki Nani, a native Hawaiian dancer.  The ‘tailored’ Camaro Waikiki convertible is equipped with teakwood side panels; deep pile gold carpeting; actuated red, yellow, and green taillights; rear fender marker lights; chrome surfboard Y-mounting arms and a wood-grained console.  This auto show display unit pulls a special trailer with a hydrokart painted in bright okra and teakwood to match the car.”  The article underneath the picture and caption goes on to say, “DETROIT—Already riding high on a wave of popularity, Chevrolet’s sporty Camero (sic) is sure to make a big splash with a new auto show version.  The ‘idea’ car is a remodeled version of a SS 350 convertible and was designed specially to demonstrate the car’s versatility as a sports-type vehicle.  Called the Camaro Waikiki, it is ‘tailored’ to the sun and surf set.  ‘The idea is that the Camaro is more than just transportation,’ said a spokesman for the Chevrolet section which designed the display car.  Among the Waikiki’s many eye-catching features are a removable surfboard carrier which is attached to the body and extended real lamps that are green when the driver’s foot is on the gas pedal, amber when he takes it off and red when he applies the brake.  Side marker lamps are on the front fenders and rear quarter panels.  Sideview mirrors are attached to both sides.  Special head lamps are fitted into the teak wood-bar grille. Teak wood panels running full length along the sides compliment the bright yellow finish above and okra-colored body panels below.  Fifteen inch G-70 tires are mounted on its wire wheels.  The rare two-tone decorative theme is continued into the interior of the car with deep-pile gold carpeting and yellow and okra vinyl seats.  Wood grain panels cover the center floor console.  A specially-made trailer hitch is attached to haul a small trailer and hydro-kart, a sort of motorized surfboard painted to match the car.  The unit will be displayed at auto shows and other exhibits throughout the United States.”

The only event where I can confirm the participation of the 1967 Camaro Waikiki “Dream” car was the traveling custom and hot rod show called Autorama.  This particular Autorama took place Friday, February 23rd through Sunday, February 25th, 1968 at War Memorial Auditorium in Boston, Massachusetts.  A clipping from an unknown February edition of the Boston, Massachusetts newspaper called Record American shows the rear view of the car.  Notice the unique extra wide tail lamps and the rear side marker light inside the edge of the wood paneling.  This clipping does not provide a date for the event but a list of events scheduled to take place at War Memorial Auditorium in 1968 found on page 15 of a publication by the City of Boston Finance Commission, entitled “Comprehensive Review of the Administration of the War Memorial Auditorium”, confirmed the event name and date.

1st picture: B&W Clipping from a February edition of the Boston, Massachusetts newspaper called Record American (https://deepfriedhoodsiecups.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/dfhc-11152011/)

2nd picture: List: https://archive.org/details/comprehensiverev00bost
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
I don’t see the side fender marker light on the fenders of this Waikiki car is there another one?

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:44:53 AM »
I don’t see the side fender marker light on the fenders of this Waikiki car is there another one?

In the newspaper clipping, look right above where the rear bumper wraps around.  They appear right at the end of the wood grain.  They are very skinny and tall.

In the color picture you can barely see the one at the front.  It appears right above the wrap around part of the front bumper, at the leading edge of the wood grain.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 02:21:47 AM »
Yep, that's right Steve.  Here is a larger view.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
I never noticed that!  I looked at these pictures so many times (car was in a book that I bought 30 years ago) I always wondered what happened to this car.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 12:45:36 AM »
The extra wide tail lights give it a Shelby or "California Special" Mustang look.  I wonder if the gas cap is unique and if it might say Waikiki on it.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything