Author Topic: Which seatbelt buckle is correct?  (Read 2297 times)

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
Which seatbelt buckle is correct?
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:45:51 AM »
My '69 has ivory std. interior.  The front seats both have 2 seat belt buckles for each seat.  One is black plastic, the other is a little smaller and chrome.  I'm guessing one is for the shoulder harness and the other is for the lap belt.  They interchange.  Which one was intended to be used with the shoulder belt?

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Which seatbelt buckle is correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:54:00 AM »
I've seen the small chrome buckle on Chevelle but not on Camaro. I have one car with standard belts & one with deluxe. Either way, each set are the same as all the other buckles.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:13:26 PM »
Fred, it is all explained with pictures here http://www.camaros.org/seatbelt.shtml :D

But, the plastic covered ones are "standard", the chrome ones are "deluxe".  There were differences between years and the tongues are different.  But with that being said, the ordering of belts in 69 was standalone.  You could get deluxe belts with a standard interior or visa-versa, but you could NOT mix and match them in a single car.  Its one or the other :)  You can look at the date tags and stamped "run" number on the buckles to hint at what your car came with originally.  good luck! 

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:58 AM »
The belts I have are sewn together at the bracket where the bracket bolts to the floor. A sewn on label reads "Hamil Model 1911 5D69" I've been sticking the unused belt under the rear of the front seat.  I have the first version of the 2 pictured on the above link.

I don't use the shoulder belt.  I've never been pulled over for not having it on. The male part of the buckle is the first version shown with the beveled sides.  Maybe these belts are not original to the car? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:47:26 AM by Fred Mertz »

anything