Author Topic: Valuation of 1968 Z 2/8's in the US market..  (Read 8171 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: Valuation of 1968 Z 2/8's in the US market..
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
My rearend is an 0424 on a 04D.
What's the numbers on the waterpump? Paid a pretty penny for correct one a few months ago. JMO,,would love to see it wear Seafom again. Car sounds tight.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 08:20:05 PM »
Quote from: BULLITT65 link=topic=17284.msg157396#msg

157396 date=1549569692
Dutch why did you start a new topic about the value of your car? The old thread Darrel posted is the exact same thing we have here?
(If I would have seen that I wouldn't have wasted my time resizing the pics and posting. ) >:(
sorry guys

Oh, there it is,skipped the link

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »
My apologies to all - I do somewhat recall posting info on the car years back - but thought it was on Team Camaro or another site. I did frequent many other sites besides CRG back then, when I was able to be a lot more into cars.  :-\
I didn't do any of this out of a sense of fun or trying to waste people's time or testing their humor or patience..
I actually had forgotten all about doing it until I saw the link provided and to say that I am somewhat embarrassed about this is being generous to say the very least!
It is obvious that I have entertained the idea of selling it previously, mainly because over the years many heard just how infrequently I used it and that led often to some asking if I would be interested in selling.. but I never know what the actual market is, because living here in the 'backwoods', Barret Jackson isn't much of a realistic pricing point for me to go by obviously - nor are those around here who think $10,000 for a car is a lot to spend before you break out the paint roller or Wagner Power Painter and paint yourself.
Whether you choose to believe any of this or not, at least take my word for the fact that I am grateful for the responses I've gotten about it, and the fact that I am very thankful to you BULLITT for your offering to help me out today.. I sincerely did and do appreciate your time and trouble..
For me 5 months is sometimes a long time - let alone trying to recall exact details of what I did or said 5 years ago.
Again - my apologies for those who feel I've wasted everyone's time here - my intention truly is to sell it before this Summer somewhere, somehow - that much won't change.. and to piss off anyone trying to achieve that end certainly wasn't my intention here at all..
Randy 

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
No time wasted.lol.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 11:08:07 PM »
Yep agreed jano.  Again let me know the price you decide on and I’ll pass it along to some of my folks.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »
Not wasted time at all. Enjoy herring of other 68 Z/28s...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 12:45:41 AM »
It was just my wasted time. Frickin 68 guys geez 😂
If you can't remember what you're car was worth 5 years ago, or that you even asked what it was worth, then I guess this is a big reminder thread.
Although Jano thought it was worth around 50k then, so I think a little less now. So maybe this thread helped you get a better 2019 price. I still think 40-45k
Exactly when are you putting it up for sale?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
side shot. A bit to high for my taste, but that how guys liked to run them BITD.
Assume the air shocks! Randy, u might want to have a list prepared of all the tough original items it has along with what it might not. Good example is radiator and tag, tire jack & date code, wheels and date codes, master cyl., brake booster, etc. Your plenty familiar with these rascals and time is on your side. It will help for potential buyers to make the leap and come take a look.
Randy, what other sometimes hard to find original parts are with car? See above!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 04:01:27 PM »
Putting a value on it is kinda tough. I like red but original color would be better.

Tell me more about the rear ended date and date on the body tag - month/week.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 03:17:10 AM »
I believe Bryon that the cast date code on the center section was 02/28/8 and the car is an 02D trim tag car.. don't quote me exactly and it's 30 below outside and my garage isn't heated - so I'm not crawling under it to check for certain.. maybe in a couple of weeks, or when I feel a lot better.. if I can't find the JM 'Definitive' book I wrote everything I found down in...

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 03:32:37 AM »
Bryon - again.. I think why I assumed it wasn't correct was that the GM Vintage Services documentation I received when I purchased the package back in the mid '90's said the delivery was Feb 26th or 28th or something like that, and I assumed that it couldn't (the rear end) be installed the same day as delivery was slated to be - but I guess the 'delivery' date could actually be a lot of different things to different people or GM departments like.. (a) Scheduled to actually leave the factory assembly line (b) Picked up from the actual Norwood facility (c) or Actually strapped onto a rail car and sent off somewhere.
Maybe all of the paper trail sheets do have some bit of 'slack' in them too, despite what the date on the tags or shipping paper work actually says..
I'm not that familiar with how the Norwood, or how in fact any of the plant scheduling and paperwork meshed up or worked.. I'm sure it wouldn't certainly be as precise as today's plant more computerized schedules - but again I'm only speculating somewhat in saying that.. 

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 04:09:14 AM »
side shot. A bit to high for my taste, but that how guys liked to run them BITD.
Assume the air shocks! Randy, u might want to have a list prepared of all the tough original items it has along with what it might not. Good example is radiator and tag, tire jack & date code, wheels and date codes, master cyl., brake booster, etc. Your plenty familiar with these rascals and time is on your side. It will help for potential buyers to make the leap and come take a look.
Randy, what other sometimes hard to find original parts are with car? See above!

Yep - air shocks and a tiny bit of a longer shackle to level it up with what I assumed were different springs installed somewhere in it's life for some reason. When I got the car, it sat a bit front end high - so I did the easiest things I could to make it sit level at least.
The air shocks just added a bit of load capacity and stiffened up the ride to boot.
Always hated that Camaros and Firebirds - a friend had one - seemed so soft (it turned me off buying a new '68 one after test driving a few Big Block ones in December '67 and instead I ordered a new SS396 Chevelle) and mushy in the back end and I wanted to insure if I my family came along for a ride or the back got loaded up some it wouldn't look like a 50's drag race car!
Don't have an original jack so no worries about date code for that obviously - the rad as far as I recall didn't have any tag - they were soldered on weren't they?
I'm not sure the tanks are original - I did get it recored in the mid '90's but I don't recall any brand names on the tanks or a tag at that point, although it does have what I assume to be generic fill level notations on the battery-side tank and had a petcock that looked OEM style - that got changed out because it was pretty hacked up.. Maybe I should take a closer gander at them - but I doubt the tag or remnant is there now.
Those kinds of things weren't deemed at all important back in those days - by me and I suspect most everyone else I'm reasonably sure!
I could write for hours about all it has and doesn't and the condition of everything and why I did what I did to it for various reasons and why not - but I'm sure t's just 'stuff' no one has the patience to read or would care at all!
When we discussed distributors - many of the pictures I sent you contained shots of date codes and casting numbers of some of the stuff I considered interesting and somewhat important.
Don't know if you still retain much or any of that (what was that a couple of years back) .. I hesitate now on dates obviously - due to my most recent gaffe when it comes recalling things or not..   :(

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
Bryon - again.. I think why I assumed it wasn't correct was that the GM Vintage Services documentation I received when I purchased the package back in the mid '90's said the delivery was Feb 26th or 28th or something like that, and I assumed that it couldn't (the rear end) be installed the same day as delivery was slated to be - but I guess the 'delivery' date could actually be a lot of different things to different people or GM departments like.. (a) Scheduled to actually leave the factory assembly line (b) Picked up from the actual Norwood facility (c) or Actually strapped onto a rail car and sent off somewhere.
Maybe all of the paper trail sheets do have some bit of 'slack' in them too, despite what the date on the tags or shipping paper work actually says..
I'm not that familiar with how the Norwood, or how in fact any of the plant scheduling and paperwork meshed up or worked.. I'm sure it wouldn't certainly be as precise as today's plant more computerized schedules - but again I'm only speculating somewhat in saying that.. 

When you have time, take a look again and contact me.

In some cases, dates are very tight together. In other cases, depending on ratio and when it was in the production cycle, there is more spread.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »

Yep - air shocks and a tiny bit of a longer shackle to level it up with what I assumed were different springs installed somewhere in it's life for some reason. When I got the car, it sat a bit front end high - so I did the easiest things I could to make it sit level at least.
The air shocks just added a bit of load capacity and stiffened up the ride to boot.
Always hated that Camaros and Firebirds - a friend had one - seemed so soft (it turned me off buying a new '68 one after test driving a few Big Block ones in December '67 and instead I ordered a new SS396 Chevelle) and mushy in the back end and I wanted to insure if I my family came along for a ride or the back got loaded up some it wouldn't look like a 50's drag race car!
Don't have an original jack so no worries about date code for that obviously - the rad as far as I recall didn't have any tag - they were soldered on weren't they?
I'm not sure the tanks are original - I did get it recored in the mid '90's but I don't recall any brand names on the tanks or a tag at that point, although it does have what I assume to be generic fill level notations on the battery-side tank and had a petcock that looked OEM style - that got changed out because it was pretty hacked up.. Maybe I should take a closer gander at them - but I doubt the tag or remnant is there now.
Those kinds of things weren't deemed at all important back in those days - by me and I suspect most everyone else I'm reasonably sure!
I could write for hours about all it has and doesn't and the condition of everything and why I did what I did to it for various reasons and why not - but I'm sure t's just 'stuff' no one has the patience to read or would care at all!
When we discussed distributors - many of the pictures I sent you contained shots of date codes and casting numbers of some of the stuff I considered interesting and somewhat important.
Don't know if you still retain much or any of that (what was that a couple of years back) .. I hesitate now on dates obviously - due to my most recent gaffe when it comes recalling things or not..   :(

Yes I have pics of Randy’s engine pad “I22IMO” and early “1111266 7A25”, both of which are exactly the same with our 68z. And JerryM has also seen and has pics of both. Another member here has a 02C z28 with same 266 dated distributor but never would answer my inquiries on when his engine was built. I know of another similar date built engine with same early 266 dated distributor so for sure some of these early built z28 7A25 dated distributors got in early built 68Z’s. That distributor definitely adds direct value. Will post pics Randy in near future.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Chick - Thanks - I appreciate your comments greatly! 
Thanks as well for the message(s) on Gmail.. No issues with the messages at all!
I rarely ever use that account anymore and mainly only if I have pictures to try and share as it seems to be more friendly in that sense than Hotmail from my limited experiences.
With the Gmail pictures I sent you in the past, it was the only way I could find that easily allowed me to take pictures with my old phone and get them into an email format easily that would work for me (and you as well!).
Hotmail is the main email address that I use - and I'm sorry for not responding often to some of your messages on Gmail as honestly, I very seldom use or even think to check it..
R..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:25:35 PM by dutch »