Author Topic: VIN, TT, title posting  (Read 7398 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: VIN, TT, title posting
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »
Boys,
Ok, here is a real scenario that happened several years ago in California: a Mopar resto shop in the San Fernando Valley was raided by the FBI for doing exactly what is being discussed here: VIN swapping. This also happened to another shop (I believe in Texas) that was  'converting' cars into Eleanor Mustangs a few of years ago. The businesses were closed, cars seized, and who knows what happened to customers cars as a result. The charges were multiple felonies, including Federal charges. The Mopar resto shop was well known for turning out fake Hemi cars from 318/383 cars. So, IF you guys think its ok to 'swap' VINs, your just asking for trouble, and NOT worth the hassle. My worthless two cents...
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
 Perhaps California's local law doesn't allow for that type of work to be done legally, or the procedure didn't follow state law,  which is why the FBI was involved. Just a guess. But the US code does show it can be left to the state laws and I can only assume at that level, if done legally, it would have to be documented with the DMV.
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »
Perhaps California's local law doesn't allow for that type of work to be done legally, or the procedure didn't follow state law,  which is why the FBI was involved. Just a guess. But the US code does show it can be left to the state laws and I can only assume at that level, if done legally, it would have to be documented with the DMV.

Maybe you are correct. However, my concern is WHY would anyone want to take that chance?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:39 PM »
  If I interpret this correctly, it appears the US law is allowing the state decide what is legal or not.
Scott,
 So if a body was either severely damaged in a collision or extensively rusted to the point there is no longer structural integrity, then a VIN can be moved to a new Dynacorn replacement body under sect B, 2-B,C if the state law allows.  Is that how it could be done in Connecticut being it sounds like you have done collision work like this in the past? I assume the state would have this documented in the DMV records.

Mike
Mike,
    I never got involved with a Dynacorn body. I know a tech who did and it needed a lot of mods just as any repro part does. I'd rather deal with rebuilding a GM carcass. Muscle Car Metal in NH does a lot of them. The only original part on some of them is the roof and side structures. Dcorn (a GM licensed restoration part) used to have each state's guidelines listed but no longer.
    A tech on another forum was discussing VINs and the DMV inspector came to his shop and handed him the rivets and documented the VIN tag transfer to a late model truck replacement cab. So obviously transfers can be done.
   Every state has different guidelines so a blanket statement should not be used.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:51 AM »
Boys,
Ok, here is a real scenario that happened several years ago in California: a Mopar resto shop in the San Fernando Valley was raided by the FBI for doing exactly what is being discussed here: VIN swapping. This also happened to another shop (I believe in Texas) that was  'converting' cars into Eleanor Mustangs a few of years ago. The businesses were closed, cars seized, and who knows what happened to customers cars as a result. The charges were multiple felonies, including Federal charges. The Mopar resto shop was well known for turning out fake Hemi cars from 318/383 cars. So, IF you guys think its ok to 'swap' VINs, your just asking for trouble, and NOT worth the hassle. My worthless two cents...
Unique Performance in Texas went well beyond the limits of simple tag R&I. Far too lengthy to discuss here.