Author Topic: 68 Air Conditioning -Sealing  (Read 63980 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
68 Air Conditioning -Sealing
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »
I want to pick back up on the AC sealing question...

Learned a lot from here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1171.0;all

The 68 AIM, C60/B3, mentions several seals... I've been hunting for over a year and nobody has any original to sell and I can only find seal #3937126 in repo.

Does anyone know a source (yes, even repo) of the other seals? (Am I just not looking in the right place?)
Does anyone have any more pictures of the various seals in original cars (Ed has helped a lot, thanks.)
We established in the above post (and from the AIM) that clips were not used in 68.  It was double-sided tape.  Can anyone describe was that looks like?

68rsss327 has asked how the seal went across the fender braces in another post.

I (and I believe others) would really appreciate the help!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:51:32 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 68 Air Conditioning -Sealing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
Phil,

Unfortunately, the other seals are in areas that are almost impossible to take pictures of. Unless someone has taken the front end apart, you probably won't be able to see them.

I don't believe anyone is reproducing the two side seals (#5 &#6), or the upper and lower radiator seals (#2 &#9), but for the latter you could probably just go to Home Depot and buy black foam rubber weatherstripping. The two baffles (#6 &#7) aren't being reproduced either, but they come up on ebay from time to time however, they seem to be expensive!!

Edit: Two sets on ebay right now with the seals! One for 68 and one for 69. Look to be good prices as well. However, verify with the seller. He has one listed as 68 in the title, but 69 in the text.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:03:17 PM by bertfam »

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
The AIM page that Ed showed in that thread also notes the 'different' kind of side deflector (baffle) for convertibles. If the baffle has a curve in it, that was to go around the 'cocktail shaker' on either side of the inner fender. Those are even more rare and not repod either.  If they are flat, they are for coupes.
 I found a set on ebay 3 years ago, cleaned them up, reinstalled the fiber material with stainless wire from the hobby store, looks great :)
Here is pic of mine in place

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:43:33 PM by click »
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »
Jim is that a 68 or 69 in your picture?

Ed

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:18:42 PM »
Thats a 69.  The front baffles weren't used on 68's until sometime around April of 68. If you really want an exercise in futility try finding a convertible baffle.  I've only got one for my car and have been looking for the second one for about 6 years now.  I guess I should just take the one I have down to a sheetmetal shop and see if they can make me a mirror image of the one I have.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »
I guess I should just take the one I have down to a sheetmetal shop and see if they can make me a mirror image of the one I have.

Have them make a bunch and then start selling them on ebay for BIG $$$!!

Thanks Jim. I thought it was a 69 but wasn't sure.

Ed

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
Ed and others,

Thanks for the help, so far...

$125!!! for 68 baffles?!?!  That sheetmetal shop is starting to sound like a good idea!

Again, seal #3937126 was sealed with two sided tape in 68... Does that tape look like the same stuff that is now on weather stripping?

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 01:52:40 AM »
I have a 07E 68 with A/C.....The core support seal DOES NOT use two sided tape.The core support is made with holes and uses clips to hold down the seal. If you need clips you can use the same ones in the door weatherstrip to hold it on.Just slice the strip with a razor and slide the clip in then turn it 180 degrees.....This will work the best with the old repro seal. I was lucky enough to save my factory clips.For the other seals... I made new rubber flaps from a sheet of material similar to the fender well dust flaps and also used those staples.For the radiator to core support ,Foam seal, you can use GM part number 14016160....(this is what was in my box..said "air duct") I was told it was used on a Corvette...It DOES USE two sided tape...hope this helps....

Steve

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »
That is helpful Steve... But now you've opened the question about clips again... and pretty much voided the info. I got on another post at CRG... Do you know for sure that the core support seal on your 07E is original???

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
The last READABLE Change Date listed in the 1968 AIM is June 3rd, 1968. As a matter of fact, there are several changes in the book with that date regarding the Exhaust Pipe and Muffler for the big block engines and the Z28.

Before that date, the latest READABLE date was April 29th, 1968. Again in several areas of the book.

Regarding the C60 option specifically, the latest READABLE date is April 26th, 1968. Once again listed on several pages. The seal in question is listed on page B3 with the following "Note 10":

Remove backing for installation

Going by these dates, this book was being updated all through the year and at least up to June 3rdth, 1968 with the C60 option itself being updated at least to April 26th, 1968. Therefore any car built after that "MAY" have had a change to the components or procedure not listed in the AIM.

Steve's car is a VERY late build. In fact, it's one of the last 68's to roll off the line. By that time, the 1969 AIM was out and it's "possible" the last few weeks of production for 1968 "may" have had 1969 changes applied to them.

JohnZ can you add anything to this?

By the way Steve, what's your VIN?

Ed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:49:16 PM by bertfam »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »
The clips for the '69 seal went into (9) holes that were drilled at assembly, at (9) dimple locations on the top surface of the radiator support; did the '68 radiator support have those dimples?

If the dimples were added to the radiator support for '69, it's highly unlikely that the '69 part was "pulled-ahead" in late '68; "pull-ahead" changes were very rare in those days.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
With 100% certainty I can tell you my core support is correct and has the holes for the seal....my VIN ends in 4808## ...Yes this car is strange..Very late L-30 with the  68 dated 041 heads..Check the L-30 report here at the CRG...No adheisive on the core support or the seal....Clips only. The tops of the holes are not flat but dimpled like a punched hole.....I have pics somewhere...I'll try to find them.

They very well may have used an adheisive during the year.....but I can tell you this car did not.I have restored it the way I found it.  Dainel  C. saw the car at Summit racing at the Fall Classic.... 

Steve

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 06:38:19 PM »
Well, once again, from John and Ed I'm confident about the tape for mine.  My car does not have the holes for the pins.  It is good to know, however, if you have a late, late 68 those pins are a possibility.  Thanks for the verification, Steve.  And always, thanks CRG!

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »
I tried to post a pic of the seal & hole but I guess I'm doing something wrong...... :(

Steve
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:23:38 PM by 68L30 »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Steve,

Posting from a third-party site works better, because it shows the picture on CRG. (Learned that from Ed).
Take a look at Joe's explanation:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1643.0

I cannot tell much from the picture you posted. (Even saved it and tried to enlarge...)  Would you mind sending it to me in a PM?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:51:43 PM by lakeholme »