Author Topic: 1967 Norwood Underbody color - I wouldn't ask it I could find it in the archives  (Read 3954 times)

manyc

• View Profile
    • Relic Recyclery
I have a 1967 RS/SS 350 4-spd Conv built in Norwood 06C. It's built just like a pace car replica, but isn't one for obvious reasons.  When I got the car the undercarriage was sandblasted, so I have nothing to use as a reference.  In the archives all I find are 68/69 LOS cars and they all kind of look like the orange car below.  The trans tunnel is gray, the outboard areas are black (over the gray) and then there is body color overspray.  My car is an RS/SS so I would expect black overspray on top of all of that at the rockers.

So if this is correct for my car then I would have to perform the following:
note: My car's undercarriage is currently in DP90LF black primer.

1) Coat entire undercarriage in Gray Primer DP50LF
2) Coat just outer floor pans with 30% Gloss Black. leave trans tunnel and trunkpan in gray.
3) Overspray undercarriage from left side, right side, wheel houses & tail panel with body color (my case white)
4) Overspray 30% Gloss Black while blacking out firewall.
5) Overspray 30% Gloss Black at rockers as part of rocker blackout for RS cars only...

The only thing that confuses me is step 2.  I don't see why the factory would have done this. it's certainly not in JohnZ's article.

please advise.
-Chris

Obsessed amature restorer. Cars include 1969 Firebird 350 Conv, 1967 Camaro RS/SS conv Blue-Topper, several limited edition 1969 Mustangs, Panther Pink 1970 Challenger, 1963 Jaguar E-Type.

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can!"

Niblet

• View Profile
I have a rotisserie Identical to that :o
1967 SS 350 coupe one owner (well now 2)
1967 RS Vert

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Step 2: probably only deemed it necessary for those areas to be somewhat protected from moisture and rock chips ( just a guess?).  Or, paint was needed where dealer undercoating was applied, so as, to adhere to? If a penny could be saved by not painting an area, GM, and all the manufacturers, would save where they could. No 2 cars are identical on the bottom. I have seen generous application of any and all the colors and types of prep coats put on the underside. I have a car that a good bit of the area from the dual exhaust front hangers on back is  painted the body color, yellow. It is like someone was cleaning their gun out and sprayed the entire area. The noted paint recommendations are a guideline, and should be taken as such. The human factor as such, maybe the guy was in a bad mood or hung over or going on break or any number of scenarios? He just did not do his painting with any care or hurried through each car. Maybe the painter liberally applied paint on several cars until a supervisor who was cost conscious put a stop to the perceived waste?
As a side, the rockers are painted with the gun kept vertices and perpendicular to the rocker. The underside of the rocker does not get painted, except for overspray.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

manyc

• View Profile
    • Relic Recyclery
ko-lek-tor - I think this pictures illustrates what you were talking about in regards to rocker blackout.  This particular car is a Red 67 RS/SS 350 Conv built in Norwood (01C). 

The second picture of a Norwood 68Z (found on this website) better illustrates what that Red 67 looked like, except that it did not have gray primer at the front of the trans tunnel.  I am thinking that this is how my Norwood 67 car came from the factory.

The third picture is the only one I have of my car showing the undercarriage. I think that I will be going with the 68Z look with the rocker blackout like  the red 67 RS/SS.

If anyone thinks that I am too way off, let me know soon since the color goes on this Saturday.
-Chris

Obsessed amature restorer. Cars include 1969 Firebird 350 Conv, 1967 Camaro RS/SS conv Blue-Topper, several limited edition 1969 Mustangs, Panther Pink 1970 Challenger, 1963 Jaguar E-Type.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
When I'm doing the underside of a car, I'm thinking *protection* FIRST, and then 'restoring the look', so your initial coatings should be from the standpoint of protecting the metal from oxidation.  If that first coating does that job thoroughly AND reproduces the 'color appearance' of the first coatings applied at the factory that is great!  Otherwise, take care of the protection FIRST, and then begin with the 'appearance restoration'...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

manyc

• View Profile
    • Relic Recyclery
Good point. I've already protected it with several coats of DP90LF epoxy primer (good stuff).  My plan is to coat everything again with reduced  DP90LF after sanding and then used SEMs Hot Rod Black to get the 30% gloss black look.

manyc

• View Profile
    • Relic Recyclery
Love it or hate it, this is what I ended up doing.

1) Primed undercarriage with DP90LF black epoxy primer.
2) Painted undercarriage with SEMs Hot Rod Black.
3) Oversprayed DP50LF light gray primer along rockers, inside wheel houses and tailpanel with heavy amount of coverage where the gas tank goes.
4) Oversprayed ermine white over the same areas.
5) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along rockers.
6) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along base of firewall.

It looks like hell, but it is close to what I believe my car looked liked based on other unmolested Norwood 67's RS/SS cars.

crowe-t

• View Profile
Love it or hate it, this is what I ended up doing.

1) Primed undercarriage with DP90LF black epoxy primer.
2) Painted undercarriage with SEMs Hot Rod Black.
3) Oversprayed DP50LF light gray primer along rockers, inside wheel houses and tailpanel with heavy amount of coverage where the gas tank goes.
4) Oversprayed ermine white over the same areas.
5) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along rockers.
6) Oversprayed Hot Rod Black along base of firewall.

It looks like hell, but it is close to what I believe my car looked liked based on other unmolested Norwood 67's RS/SS cars.

The undercarriage came out great!

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
Nice work
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible