Author Topic: Distrubtor raised to high?  (Read 9189 times)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
Re: Distrubtor raised to high?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 01:01:44 AM »
I am just going to suggest buying a 350 Chevrolet short block from someone. They are cheap, you can put your 327 on a shelf for posterity.
John

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 03:22:12 AM »
I am just going to suggest buying a 350 Chevrolet short block from someone. They are cheap, you can put your 327 on a shelf for posterity.
John

Thats good advice from John. Also, you can buy a new crate engine from Chevrolet with a warranty! The advantage is its already assembled and ready to drop in. Can't beat that.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 03:12:19 AM »
The gain from a 327 to a 350 isn't much, esp for a cruiser. And you need new pistons.
You'll get more power from selecting good rings and cam and working the heads....
Kurt S
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 05:01:23 AM »
Real bummer to hear about this... unaware where you are at, but happened across this complete 327 engine
on CraigsList New Hampshire and it reminded me of your post/thread, so thought it couldn't hurt to post the link.

https://nh.craigslist.org/pts/d/west-springfield-1967-chevychevy-327/6767674671.html

dalekerr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 01:30:17 AM »
A little update I trailered the car to an engine shop. After the motor was removed and inspected they called and told  the bearings were all damaged by someone using a sanding disc to remove old gaskets!

The last mechanic removed the intake and replaced the lifters, then ran the car and drove it. Next he removed the oil pan and replaced the rear seal that was leaking. He took a picture of the rear main bearing and it showed wear damage. In the picture he took it shows the sanding disc on the work bench!

The engine shop says they see this kind of damage all the time caused by mechanics taking shot cuts. I researched and most new car manufacturers have TSB about this practice.

I confronted the mechanic politely and asked if they ever used sanding disc? He basically through me out of his shop, claiming I had major issues before he ever touched my car and he did not cause any problems!

I sent him the picture he sent me showing the disc on the bench setting next to the removed bearing?

Wow, my luck will turn soon, a Saints fan!

Dale Kerr
1967 Y 2 350 M20 12 Bolt Vintage Air
03D

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
A little update I trailered the car to an engine shop. After the motor was removed and inspected they called and told  the bearings were all damaged by someone using a sanding disc to remove old gaskets!

The last mechanic removed the intake and replaced the lifters, then ran the car and drove it. Next he removed the oil pan and replaced the rear seal that was leaking. He took a picture of the rear main bearing and it showed wear damage. In the picture he took it shows the sanding disc on the work bench!

The engine shop says they see this kind of damage all the time caused by mechanics taking shot cuts. I researched and most new car manufacturers have TSB about this practice.

I confronted the mechanic politely and asked if they ever used sanding disc? He basically through me out of his shop, claiming I had major issues before he ever touched my car and he did not cause any problems!

I sent him the picture he sent me showing the disc on the bench setting next to the removed bearing?

Wow, my luck will turn soon, a Saints fan!

Wow! Not trying to stir the pot, you actually may have a cause of action (small claims case) for damage to the engine as a result from the incompetent mechanic.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
But in the pic you say showed the sanding disc also showed you already had damage to rear main bearing.

dalekerr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
Yes there was already damage to the rear main, but the mechanic had replaced the lifters, adjusted the valves, timeing and test drove the car for several miles.

The machine shop claims they have  had to rebuild several motors for local dealers that were only started and test drove after the heads were cleaned with a sanding disc.

The TSB states the oxide particles off the disc are too small for the oil filter to collect, they just stay in the oil and do bearing damage immediately.
Dale Kerr
03D

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 05:10:23 PM »
But in the pic you say showed the sanding disc also showed you already had damage to rear main bearing.

What pic?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

dalekerr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
The mechanic who removed the intake took a picture of the rear main bearing in it on his work bench is a package of the disc and a used one along with the tool to use them. I will try to post pictures soon.
Dale Kerr
03D

dalekerr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 06:12:42 PM »
How do I resize the picture to post? Or I can forward to somenoe to help post. email?
Dale Kerr
03D

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
The easier complaint to prove would be the distributor gaskets - that's a truly boneheaded move....
Kurt S
CRG

RonA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
There will be some particles from those sanding disc's but the worst thing they do is screw up the gasket surface.  If the rear main is damaged I'm assuming their talking about the rear thrust. If that is the case 99% of rear thrust problems stem from the transmission [clutch/converter/pump/misalignment]. Oil problems should affect the rest of the bearings. If this is the case your new motor will have the same fate.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
I think if the motor was fresh I would just get a crank kit and have GOOD mechanic install it and check out the rest of the motor. The who done what probably will not get you very far.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything