Author Topic: Body Mount Tape - Width  (Read 42776 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Body Mount Tape - Width
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
  I carefully examined the shock area and came to the conclusion the tape size is approximately 4" in length to cover bolt hole to bolt hole. Based on Danny's measurements of a prime sample and the fact that I do believe the tape width used for the #3 hole and shock tower was the same and off the same dispenser, when I eventually restore the 67 LOS car I will make the tape width (this will be the fixed tape roll width) at 2 1/4" and the length 4" for the shock holes and 3 1/4" for the #3 hole.  I agree though it would be nice to have more samples to compare to but considering how few tape remnants exist, we can only go with a best guess conclusion.
   This has been a really interesting discussion!
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »
Lol I am sorry but I find it funny that we as Camaro enthusiasts have become so anal retentive that we have a thread 3 pages long about tape on a bushing..  And yes I have been following along with interest about the type of tape used and orientation etc..  lol

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
  LOL......yea.....my wife recently said something along those lines when I told her I am going into the garage to examine 50 year old tape.
She jokingly said how I never examined her in such detail when we first met in 1970. I told her "well....back then I didn't see too well so I used Braille a lot"  8)
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2019, 12:38:46 AM »
Lol I am sorry but I find it funny that we as Camaro enthusiasts have become so anal retentive that we have a thread 3 pages long about tape on a bushing..  And yes I have been following along with interest about the type of tape used and orientation etc..  lol

Seems perfectly normal to me...LOL

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »
  I carefully examined the shock area and came to the conclusion the tape size is approximately 4" in length to cover bolt hole to bolt hole. Based on Danny's measurements of a prime sample and the fact that I do believe the tape width used for the #3 hole and shock tower was the same and off the same dispenser, when I eventually restore the 67 LOS car I will make the tape width (this will be the fixed tape roll width) at 2 1/4" and the length 4" for the shock holes and 3 1/4" for the #3 hole.  I agree though it would be nice to have more samples to compare to but considering how few tape remnants exist, we can only go with a best guess conclusion.
   This has been a really interesting discussion!
Mike

Mike, thanks for your good work and contributions on this subject.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
Decided to drop the sub-frame to replace and correct the narrow body mount tape with the wider tape I sourced (see Reply #90). I cut the pieces to 4" lengths then applied a light coat of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to ensure a lasting bond as I had noticed the narrow tape was starting to peel. The adhesive worked well on the delicate crepe paper tape backing. I haven't tackled taping the shock mounts yet however will get to it later in my restoration.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »
Did u obtain correct upper mounts Lloyd’s?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
Chick, although I'm not convinced the integrated washer style cushion is the only correct style it does seem to follow normative practice based on feedback and findings of some members so I'm going to make the switch much like I did with the wheel well plugs.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 04:47:23 AM »
Re-installed the subframe.

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 02:25:23 PM »
very neat!
Bill Garrett

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
Re-installed the subframe.

Lloyd, orient donut that the white is not seen as that is a later service replacement.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »
How do you know that Chick? Is there a thread on the subject ?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2019, 09:58:26 AM »
Do I need a thread? Have u ever seen that on a survivor as I have not and looked at these white being sold on eBay years ago and determined the white being added clearly showed service replacement but again orientation would hide that aspect. My belief is it was added as the part # was used for other applications but never went any further investigation. Simple fix and only suggestion.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »
Do I need a thread? Have u ever seen that on a survivor as I have not and looked at these white being sold on eBay years ago and determined the white being added clearly showed service replacement but again orientation would hide that aspect. My belief is it was added as the part # was used for other applications but never went any further investigation. Simple fix and only suggestion.

Chick, just wanting to understand the source of your information, assuming perhaps you were referencing a CRG thread or other notable work on the subject as there is nothing published by CRG on subframe cushion markings that I could locate. Most of the original / survivor cushions I have seen were deteriorated to the point where I could not reliably determine what markings they came with originally. Even if I could my sample size was not large enough to be authoritative. Only a couple of the NOS cushions I installed have the WHITE manufacturers mark but they do include the embossed PN#. Could this be a unique practice by a this cushion supplier? As for judging standards I've not heard of anyone receiving a deduction for using GM service replacement cushions which I assume are routinely used as the originals aren't restorable and mostly deform, collapse and sometimes crack after decades of exposure and compression.   

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »

Chick, just wanting to understand the source of your information, assuming perhaps you were referencing a CRG thread or other notable work on the subject as there is nothing published by CRG on subframe cushion markings that I could locate. Most of the original / survivor cushions I have seen were deteriorated to the point where I could not reliably determine what markings they came with originally. Even if I could my sample size was not large enough to be authoritative. Only a couple of the NOS cushions I installed have the WHITE manufacturers mark but they do include the embossed PN#. Could this be a unique practice by a this cushion supplier? As for judging standards I've not heard of anyone receiving a deduction for using GM service replacement cushions which I assume are routinely used as the originals aren't restorable and mostly deform, collapse and sometimes crack after decades of exposure and compression.   

Just my thoughts Lloyd and yes one has to use service replacements but as you know some service replacements fit the bill and others changed looks and do not. Larry Christensen could best answer for the 5000 pt judging but I will stick my neck out and say with the white showing there would be some small deduction. Orient and no deduction for sure, which was my point. No worries!
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06