Author Topic: Body Mount Tape - Width  (Read 43134 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Body Mount Tape - Width
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2019, 01:31:35 AM »
Any conclusion on what size the tape should be?
Thanks

I just picked up a roll of the 3" wide crepe paper tape from Amazon. About the same quality and appearance as the tape offered by the parts vendors just wider. From the posts here that are based on observations of original tape it seems there is no clear evidence of a consistent or standard tape width used by Fisher Body. It does appear that the tape was likely no less than 2 1/2" wide (and say 4" long), being the same width as the #3 position sub frame bushings. I'm inclined to adopt that width as the one to use however would appreciate other views?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:16:29 AM by Edgemontvillage »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2019, 03:15:12 AM »
 Based on replies #63-66 makes me think it would be approximately 2 1/4"w x 3 1/4" L for the #3 hole. The important measurement would be width (of the tape roll) and the length would be wherever it was cut from the dispenser.  Danny's reply #63 seems to be the best indicator so far. If it were me I would cut the 3" width down to 2 1/4" after cutting off about a 3" length.
  I've been giving this topic a lot of thought in regards to what the roll width is. Given the line worker(s) had to pull a piece of tape off a dispenser and place over the holes, while in a moving environment, the last thing you want to do it trim tape. So, it should be set up where you only need to worry about one of two variables (being width and length) and that would be tape length. With that in mind I would think the tape width would be such that it would be easy to place up in the flat section at the shock hole to cover that area entirely (with the proper length of course) and yet it would also be wide enough to cover the #3 hole. And that shock area width is 2" (measured on my 67 coupe). So, the only thing the worker had to do is pull off a correct length and slap it on. Based on Danny's measurements, I would cut the width to 2 1/4".

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 12:35:48 AM »
Based on replies #63-66 makes me think it would be approximately 2 1/4"w x 3 1/4" L for the #3 hole. The important measurement would be width (of the tape roll) and the length would be wherever it was cut from the dispenser.  Danny's reply #63 seems to be the best indicator so far. If it were me I would cut the 3" width down to 2 1/4" after cutting off about a 3" length.
  I've been giving this topic a lot of thought in regards to what the roll width is. Given the line worker(s) had to pull a piece of tape off a dispenser and place over the holes, while in a moving environment, the last thing you want to do it trim tape. So, it should be set up where you only need to worry about one of two variables (being width and length) and that would be tape length. With that in mind I would think the tape width would be such that it would be easy to place up in the flat section at the shock hole to cover that area entirely (with the proper length of course) and yet it would also be wide enough to cover the #3 hole. And that shock area width is 2" (measured on my 67 coupe). So, the only thing the worker had to do is pull off a correct length and slap it on. Based on Danny's measurements, I would cut the width to 2 1/4".

Mike

Mike brings up some good points! When our car was judged via the 5000 point system and on the lift there was no deduction concerning the tape so bottom line the most important thing is to have tape over those holes and 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" or 3" I don't believe it will make a huge difference. Just go with the info supplied here and utilize what seems the best choice.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:32 AM »

Mike

Mike brings up some good points! When our car was judged via the 5000 point system and on the lift there was no deduction concerning the tape so bottom line the most important thing is to have tape over those holes and 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" or 3" I don't believe it will make a huge difference. Just go with the info supplied here and utilize what seems the best choice.

Chick I appreciate the insight however my primary motivation is to understand Fisher Body's practice as I'm not convinced the undisclosed judging criteria in this area is even well developed. Many great cars have undergone Legends judging and I have to believe some have used the parts vendor tape which we can safely conclude is incorrect. I also like Mike's logic as its well reasoned.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 02:52:51 AM »

Mike

Chick I appreciate the insight however my primary motivation is to understand Fisher Body's practice as I'm not convinced the undisclosed judging criteria in this area is even well developed. Many great cars have undergone Legends judging and I have to believe some have used the parts vendor tape which we can safely conclude is incorrect. I also like Mike's logic as its well reasoned.
The practice was quite simple, to cover the hole with tape! It seems to be evident that sizes varied and that might have been from someone pulling a couple tabs of tape off a role. Were different widths of tape used during different time frames? I gave a view as you asked but sorry I brought up judging. The only thing I can conclude is the tape sizes aforementioned give a much better understanding of the sizes used but in no way supply enough info for any judging criteria other than a judge checking the process of covering the hole was completed. 
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:06 PM »
Maybe JohnZ has some insight.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
 This week I'll remove the shock to closely examine the tape and will post pictures.

Mike

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 12:29:09 AM »
This week I'll remove the shock to closely examine the tape and will post pictures.

Mike

That would be great Mike.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2019, 07:12:52 PM »
Just wondering would they have not used the same tape for covering the emblem holes on the deck lid for the cars with double sets of holes?

FWIW say for example your sample piece were 4" x 3"  unless through a large sample analysis you could determine the machine direction VS cross (web) direction of manufacture for the tape it would be difficult to determine your actual tape width. 
With enough samples measured in which one measurement was quite consistently the same it would be pretty easy to say with a reasonable degree of accuracy that X is the width.
With a large enough sample size the width may be able to be
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2019, 02:36:28 AM »
Mike, your vehicle to report tape width is that your LOS 67 survivor?
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2019, 02:41:52 AM »
Hi Chick,

Yes. I will get that done this week. I loaned my floor jack out and of course, I don't have it when I need it.

Mike

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2019, 04:53:35 AM »
 Attached are pictures of the shock tower tape. As expected, as soon as the shock was loosened, the tape began to crumble. What I also found was a hard adhesive stuck to the tape and body that came from a thick band which was applied around the inner neck of the plate. I attribute this to being the sealer shown in the 67 AIM UPC4-B3 item 15. This sealer spread out along the tape that was stuck to the body and sealed it to the body in many places. Other areas began to flake off when I touched it. As you can see in the pictures, the areas not covered by the shock plate stayed protected by the tape as indicated by the black areas. In one picture I have white arrows pointing to tape edges of tape still stuck to the sealer.  I had to resize some pictures to meet the file size requirements so image detail is reduced. 

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:55 AM »
More pictures

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2019, 11:40:56 PM »
Cool archeology, thanks for posting. I take it there wasn’t enough of the tape in tact to meaure any of the dimensions?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2019, 12:43:46 AM »
 A lot crumbled and a lot is still on the body due to the hardened sealer. The black area that was protected I would use as measurement plus factor in the bolt hole openings.

anything