Author Topic: emblems  (Read 3966 times)

ckresto

• View Profile
emblems
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »
I am restoring a 69 Z/28.  Would it be better to clean up my old, patina emblems?  Or would it be better to put on the repro jobs I have.  I am just looking for an opinion.  Something about originality is cool.  But new sure looks better.

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Re: emblems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
My original SS emblems were in bad shape, lots off pitting, so I put repro emblems on.  Like you said, it looks great.  But I did keep the originals, just in case!  Maybe someday they can be cleaned up/restored?
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:34:51 AM »
On a restoration, trim pieces are something that I dont even consider using the originals.

The "show quality" parts are so nice, and I really dont like seeing old trim on a nice, fresh paint job.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
The Camaro emblem is a tough call.  When judging, we take off for the repro emblems as the script is too "fat", slightly thicker and flatter on top than originals.  If you buy the GMs today, there is a small imperfection on the "B" in the word "BY."  So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  If I had to choose between these two, I would probably use the repros.  Some of the current GMs also have a lot of flashing.   

Jerry