Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Big Block Radiator/Electric Fan Suggestions?  (Read 8056 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Big Block Radiator/Electric Fan Suggestions?
« on: February 25, 2007, 03:31:40 AM »
I am building a 69 Camaro with a ZZ502 and manual transmission.  What do you guys recommend for a radiator/electric fan setup that will work well.  I am looking to make this a daily driver so stand still in traffic cooling is important.  Also, I see 2 row vs. 3 row.  1"/1.25"/1.5" tubes?  Is more and bigger necessarily better?

I was considering a Fluidyne radiator with a Perma-cool dual fan setup.  I like the looks of the perma cool fans as they are tuff looking and have a 5,900 cfm rating.  I really like the Fluidyne radiator as they have a 3 row setup whereas the others I have looked at have only two rows.  More rows means better cooling...right?  Here is the setup:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLD%2DFHP30%2D67CAM&N=700+115&autoview=sku

and

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM%2D19524&N=700+115&autoview=sku

However, I am not married to this setup and have not made any final decisions.  I can certainly be persuaded by you more experience professionals out there.  My major concern is keeping everything cool.

Thanks guys,

Steve
69 Camaro Pace Car
69 Camaro Pro Tour
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 07:46:50 PM by sdkar »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Big Block Radiator/Electric Fan Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:56:14 PM »
$500.00 is a lot to spend on a fan. The factory 4-row BB radiator (or a good aluminum replacement) with the factory shroud, clutch, and 7-blade fan will cool it just fine; there's no need to "catalog re-engineer" it. That setup, with a correct advance curve and vacuum advance connected to full manifold vacuum (instead of "ported" vacuum) will cool it very well.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mvara71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:13:11 PM »
My only input is to make sure  you get and adjustable thermostat , I have a small block  with a four core radiator, and I was having problems with the fan not shutting off , I can see turning on around 205 degrees and it was supposed to shutt off around 160, well it never got to that point and the fan was constantly stayin on, don`t forget you will also going to need a 50amps relay and a breaker another suggestion is to run an led light,  run it from the positive side of the fan wire to the plus side of the led light to ground, so everytime the fun turns on the light will turn on and off went it shutts down, you can monitor this with your water temp. Normally it will turn on around 200 to 210 degrees and should shutt down around 180, Also keep in my some of this fun are very noisy, my sounds like a blower. hope this will help a little.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:22:22 PM »
A friend is running a 502 with a holley fuel injection system with a manual in his 69. He has a BB 4 core radiator with an OE 7 blade fan. I think he is running a 160 thermostat and adds water wetter by redline to the coollant. It generally runs at 180 and rarely gets to 190 or 195 but only in heavy stopped traffic.

I honestely don't think the cash is worth it yet unless you want to burn some anyway. I recommend running the 4 core if you have one and an electric if you really want to, the tuning of the setup you run will have a lot to do with how hot it runs like JohnZ suggested. An Origina Equipment 7 blade fan moves a lot of air.
68 07D SS350
John