Author Topic: Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro  (Read 1989 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 01:37:48 PM »
Thats nonsense. I have seen several Z/28s with console mount tape players. Back in the day I scrapped a non-A/C L65 4-speed with one. Took hours to get the unit, wiring, speakers removed intact.

Check out the w/s for one of the Z/28s in Jerrys '69 book.
Learning more and more about less and less...

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Radio/Stereo Combination for 69’ Camaro
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 03:31:33 PM »
Sounds like AM radio with 8 track player, which would have been mounted on the console. This is the same setup I have. Here is a wiring diagram which may answer your questions.
Andy

Console-mounted 8-track players and multiplex stereo players in 1968 and 1969 Camaros were for cars with RPO C60 factory air conditioning systems (Four Seasons) because the AC duct work under the dash on the passenger side obstructed mounting either the 8-track player or multiplex there.

To rephrase slightly for clarification. U57 Console mounted 8 track tape players were used with console cars, regardless of AC. From the sales album for U57 in the revision guide, "Includes 4 speakers. Console required when air conditioning is ordered." So if you order C60 and U57, you also had to order D55 console.

And an interesting side note. In the original section of the sales manual, "Includes 4 speakers. Not available when electric clock is ordered. Console is required when air conditioning is ordered." I don't know how U35 Electric Clock would affect a tape player. But I guess that may be why they removed that in the revision.

anything