Author Topic: Speaker / rear defogger  (Read 5559 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
Speaker / rear defogger
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
I'm restoring a 69 SS coupe, though it's still in the body shop I'm doing my homework now so it gets back together correctly.  This is a non-A/C car.  My question is, how were the front and rear speakers (especially the fronts) for a stereo radio placed in the kick panel if they were at all.  and the rear defogger grill .  Was a rear defogger a dealer or factory option?
Thanks
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Speaker / rear defogger
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
A 69 built with a factory stereo will have 4 speakers; one in eack kick panel and two mounted on the package shelf. The front speaker mounting is depicted on page A3 section U79 of the Assembly Instruction Manual [AIM].

A rear defogger was a factory or dealer-installed option; GMPD sold a kit for dealers to install. The mounting of the switch can be found in the AIM on page A1 section C50. Fisher Body must have installed the wiring, unit and grille as that is not in the AIM.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:50:52 PM »
Thanks  but I've checked on that page in the assembly book.  My car is missing the kick panels so I have nothing to compare to.   Looking at the replacements, a car without A/C has kick panel vent grills and controll cables for air to the floor or dash.  It's doesn't appear that speakers would fit along with those grills.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
Speakers go between the air vent and the front edge of the door opening.  There is a rectangular opening in the substructure of the car that the speaker magnets fit into.  You have to get the speakers installed in exactly the right location or they won't fit.  If you remove the kick panel you can measure from the edge of the door opening and up from the floor to the center of the rectangular opening to establish a centerline for the speakers.  From there you can make a template from the speaker cover to locate it correctly.

You will have to use an OEM style speaker in this location as there isn't much room for a large magnet in that rectangular opening behind the kickpanel. 
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »
Thanks!!! You guys are a wealth of knowlege.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Kick panel speakers - 69 camaro
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
I'm adding an 8track player (which is currently being restored by jvrestorations) with my original AM radio. Can anyone give me specific advice on locating the exact place to cut the kickpanels? This is giving me heartburn. I have original speakers and kick panel grills.

Does anyone have a replacement part for the rubber grommets that hold the player off the console door? Or a close-up picture of the piece would be awesome.

Side note - Joe did some great work on the AM radio, looks fantastic. He's also reconed my original front speaker and (ebay puchased) kick panel speakers.

Thanks - Andy