Author Topic: Quarter Panel Stiffener  (Read 2503 times)

KK302

• View Profile
Quarter Panel Stiffener
« on: October 28, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
I was reading the attached  (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8653.0) concerning the correct installation method for the quarter panel stiffener where it indicates to use Duramix 4274 NVH dampening material to bond the non welded area of the stiffener to the inside of the quarter panel. Since this thread is from 2011, would the Duramix NVH still be the correct material to use in this area? Or are there other "newer types" of dampening materials available for use instead of the Duramix.

I have the stiffeners already installed (welded in the appropriate place) but the shop failed to put the dampening material in. I'm assuming I can reach up there from the trunk to squeeze the adhesive in between the stiffener plate and quarter panel?

And one last question. I'm assuming (from the pictures of original cars on the website) that the lower tail light panel to quarter panel corner seam (red arrow) should not be filled with seam sealer. Is that correct.

Thanks as always for your help.

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
Re: Quarter Panel Stiffener
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
Actually seam sealer is applied to the whole seam from the lower of the tail pan to the upper area where it meets the trunk lid
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »
No seam sealer is applied below the bumper. Any NVH you buy will be fine for the stiffener.

KK302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »
No seam sealer is applied below the bumper. Any NVH you buy will be fine for the stiffener.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.