Author Topic: 67 Steel Brake Booster Vacuum Tube Correct Assembly?  (Read 2930 times)

Higgi 67

• View Profile
67 Steel Brake Booster Vacuum Tube Correct Assembly?
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:22:04 AM »
As part of my power brake booster upgrade I've purchased the small block pre-bent brake vacuum tube and intake elbow that all of the Camaro parts suppliers list as common 67-69. I also purchased the stand off bracket that supports the hose that attaches under the aft-inboard valve cover bolt. It seems as there is no way these components work together (metal tube does not come anywhere close to the correct length/bends/angle to line up with that bracket hole).

The plug wire support stand off bracket for 67 is directly in the way of any reasonable position of the tube... (68 has a hole in the middle of it and the tube would work perfect with that - but I want to keep the engine dress all 67 factory correct for an L30/M20 car MK code no smog).

What is the correct assembly supposed to be? For me running the rubber hose all the way from the brake booster to an intake fitting is unacceptable - I hope they did not do that in 67 out of the factory. I've found lots of pics online of laughable positioning of that tube, so it is clear that I'm not the first to be unaware of how it came from the factory, but I must be in the minority of those who care beyond it just functioning... I want it as close to replicating factory as I can without a hose laying/ rubbing on the intake/ other parts.

I've been through my copy (electronic) of the Factory AIM Assy Manual (hours pg/ pg because it will not scroll) and the most I can find is it should be on Option "J50" Sheet "A3". My manual for some reason is MISSING THE PAGE Option "J50" Sheet "A3"!!!! How can an electronic copy not have this? Does anyone have it?

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: 67 Steel Brake Booster Vacuum Tube Correct Assembly?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
 I'll scan that page from a hard copy and post it.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
 Attached is a copy of J50/A3 from the 67 AIM.
Due to the file size limit of CRG I had to shrink the picture down a lot.
If you need a larger size then send me your email address in a PM.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Higgi 67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Wow - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!    The part that I was sold (that every part supplier has labeled as common 67-69 is wrong!)...    It should be (per this sheet)  #3909909...  they are selling #3923286 as shown in the 68 manual as common all three years!    Unfortunately I already made 1 modification to mine that will prevent me from returning it - but at least this can be an alert to keep others from the same predicament.

Higgi 67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
Clarification - sellers = eBay business sellers  => can't trust their descriptions!

67 nut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
Mike,
Many thanks for providing sheet J50/A3.  I too, spent many months dealing with incorrect vendors descriptions of this very issue. One pays a price for an education.

Steve  '67 RS convertible, factory a/c, parchment interior