Author Topic: A.I.R Diverter Valve Function  (Read 1636 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
A.I.R Diverter Valve Function
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
Been thinking of a method to bench-test smog system diverter valves to check for correct function. Figured that I could achieve this by simply doing the following:
1) Connect a low-pressure air supply to the inlet, and verify that air exits both outlet pipes.
2) Apply a variable vacuum source to the vacuum hose port and note if (and at what " of Hg) air flow is interrupted from exiting the two outlets.
However I want to check my understanding of how the diverter valve works. Based on the section diagram in the CRG 'Emissions System' report, it looks as though a sudden increase in engine manifold vacuum pulls a spring-loaded diaphragm closed, which in turn closes off the supply of pressurised air from the smog pump to the diverter outlet tubes. So does this then direct the airflow to exit via the muffler? If so, is it only momentary or does air continue to flow through the muffler until the manifold vacuum decreases? Presumably the only significant variable within each of the part # for diverter valves is the manifold vacuum (depending on the engine RPO) required to trigger and release the diaphragm?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: A.I.R Diverter Valve Function
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 11:44:31 PM »
Occurred to me to dig out my copy of the Chassis Service Manual, and it confirms that air is diverted through the muffler, but at high engine speeds there is a pressure relief valve just before the muffler; I guess that is the difference between the '68 system that has the relief valve in the pump casing, and the '69-on that has the relief in the diverter itself. Should be able to go ahead and bench test.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

anything