Author Topic: Fisher Body Assembly Manual.. or similar possibilities?  (Read 3266 times)

TangoBravo

• View Profile
Fisher Body Assembly Manual.. or similar possibilities?
« on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
Is there any assembly line guides, or manuals related to what happened behind the "Hole in the Wall" for how Fisher put things together on their end? Seems we would probably have some available if they exist. Also seems reasonable there must have been some guides for those who were on the Fisher side .There were a lot of mysteries on what happened during the body builds, and very little information on everything upstream on the build of the vehicles.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Fisher Body Assembly Manual.. or similar possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
Yes, Fisher had a "Fisher Body O.D. (Operation Description) sheets" manual, but was never released outside of GM and no one that I know has ever seen one out of Fisher Body.

Ed

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
Have you read this?  It gives you a basic idea of the Fisher operations, but not manual-level specific details.   

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »
Yep-quite familiar with the report-and it is truly outstanding. Just seems that a big and important part of the building of these vehicles is missing. It would be great if someone might find some docs at an estate sale around LA or something-----

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
The Fisher Body book for the appropriate year will show anything which was done by FISHER.
What is missing?
I thought was quite well known as far as the sequence of events and which products and jigs were used in the assembly of the cars in the FISHER side.
Are you looking for a process or product in particular?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:58:15 AM »
I have been trying to find someone on the Fisher side of the Norwood plant to answer some questions for me. Been trying for years, so far no luck.

There are no real secrets. They took the stamped panels, made additional modifications as needed and welded them together.

What James suggested might be what you are looking for? There is a Body by Fisher Service Manual for each year.

Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:58:43 AM »
JohnZ's article about the assembly process is an incredible factual resource, but I would personally love to find out more about how the GMAD/LOS operation functioned, as distinctly different to the then-traditional separate Fisher and Chevrolet sides' processes.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
LOS was a lot more complex with different equipment on the line. Having F bodies and full size cars coming down the same line must have been quite stressful.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
I have the Fisher Body Service manual and it is very helpful. My interest is primarily in the assembly process and information like the AIM has. It would be beneficial to have the Fisher Body version of the AIM too.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
LOS was a lot more complex with different equipment on the line. Having F bodies and full size cars coming down the same line must have been quite stressful.
No really. They design the line to handle it. The old Wixom plant made Continental (front wheel drive), Town Cars, and Lincoln LS - all on the same line.  FWD and RWD, full frame and subfame, all mixed.
Kurt S
CRG

anything