Author Topic: Window felts - '68 w/ deluxe interior + reveal moldings  (Read 2714 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Window felts - '68 w/ deluxe interior + reveal moldings
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »
I'm am looking for a full set of inner and outer window felts for a '68 coupe with the deluxe interior and the reveal moldings on top of the doors and quarter window area.

Some time ago, I had tried two brands and looked at a third but they all had problems Hopefully, things might have changed between then and now.

1st set: This was several years ago. I ordered from Steele Rubber and got a box of Repops brand inside of a Steele shipping box. The problem with these was  the triangular shaped tabs on the outer felts that fit into slots on the reveal moldings and then get bent over. They were not stamped completely through and could not be pried up. They were useless as they came out of the box!

2nd set: Don't remember the brand but I looked at them in person at Eckler's facility in Titusville, FL. The same tabs on the outer felts that I mentioned above did not match up with the slots on my reveal moldings. Again useless!

3rd set: These are PUI brand and pictured below. PUI part number F236-1...... I had two concerns with the outer felts. One was the thickness of the "whiskers." They are an 1/8th thick. I have seen others in person and in pictures on this site where the "whiskers" look to be a 1/4 to 3/8 thick. This includes pictures of original GM pieces. My side glass is not in but I wonder if at 1/8 thick they will be thick enough to pressup against the glass......The other is that the top edge of the metal strip that the "whiskers" are attached to is chrome and not black like the originals.

There are three major problems with the PUI inner felts.....The flat stainless steel bead on the top of the felt that sits on top of the door panel does not extend over the door panel as far as the orignal GM piece. The problem with this is that the outer edge of the orignal GM pieces have left a permanent indentation in the door panel vinyl that the PUI piece doesn't cover......The PUI piece that fits on the quarter panel reveal molding in bent incorrectly. The original GM piece was formed with a curve in it. The PUI piece was made straight and then bent afterwards. The piece is distorted at the bend and will not mount properly to  the side panel. This PUI piece is also 5/8" longert than the original GM piece.

So what I am looking for (if they exist) is ...…

Outer felts that have triangular tabs that can actually be pried up and are spaced properly so that they will fit the slots on the reveal molding......and with "whiskers" that are as thick as original GM pieces.

Inner felts that have the correct width flat stainless steel bead on the top......and the quarter window pieces have the correct undistorted bend and will fit side panel properly.

I'd be willing to buy two different sets if one had the correct inners and the other had the correct outers.

Thanks.....Dave

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: Window felts - '68 w/ deluxe interior + reveal moldings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:28:25 AM »
Any '68 owners out there with a deluxe interior and reveal moldings that have replaced their inner and outer window felts...….and can comment about the quality and fit of the brand they used.

Thanks........Dave

althomas55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:34:49 AM »
My cousin used a vendor out of windber Pa. by the name Restoration Specialties Inc.
He gave them his originals and they duplicated a set from what I recall and were to keep the info and pattern for future use.He has a 68 Z with deluxe interior and reveal moldings, I have used the re-pops myself and they don't fit worth a crap ! He was happy with the ones they made , don't recall much more as this was 8 or 9 years ago, I do know they are still in business though. May be worth a call.

Restoration Specialties Inc

Address: 148 Minnow Creek Rd, Windber, PA 15963
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Mon
Phone: (814) 467-9842
68 RS clone 468/4spd

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:19:45 AM »
As far the exterior have not seen anybody that comes close to the original's. The back side has tabs that clamp on to the molding. The interior's on mine were fine so reused them.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:38:08 AM »
As far the exterior have not seen anybody that comes close to the original's. The back side has tabs that clamp on to the molding. The interior's on mine were fine so reused them.

I'll try to find my NOS set and post a pic - you're referring to the set Carman and I split, right ? Wish we had laid in a couple (dozen) more sets when they went disco -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6