Author Topic: fan blade in relation to shrowd  (Read 3542 times)

pjbizjak

• View Profile
fan blade in relation to shrowd
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »
Where should the fan blade sit in relation to the shrowd. mine is 1/3 fan exposed past the shrowd and balance inside shrowd. I'm having a over heating problem and the fan doesn't seem to be pulling a lot of air through radiator. Radiator is like new with no blockage, thermofan seems a little loose when temp is up and maybe not driving the fan properly. going to try and run the fan without thermofan but I think I should put a spacer on th fan shaft to get blade inside shroud further.

Pete 68 04A z/28

169INDY

• View Profile
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
Re: fan blade in relation to shrowd
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
I was gonna say about half of the back edge of the blades sticking out of the shroud
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
 My 67 L35's have about half a blade (non-clutch blade) depth into the shroud area.
It may not look like enough but you can feel a strong pull of air in front of the radiator.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
Fof those that don't know, cooling tech info is on CRG: http://www.camaros.org/pdf/corv_cooling2.pdf

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
My 67 L35's have about half a blade (non-clutch blade) depth into the shroud area.
It may not look like enough but you can feel a strong pull of air in front of the radiator.
Mike
That's consistent with the '69 AIM, which shows indicatively the blades half in, half out of the shroud (UPC11/13, B4) if that helps.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Thanks all, seems my fan to shroud setting is OK. I think my next step is to remove the thermofan and run blade direct. If that doesn't work then I'll consider a new water pump or rebuild mine.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
My 2 cents - Water pumps do one of three things - They either leak coolant out the weeping hole, or the bearings fail causing them to fall completely apart, or they pump water.   Thats all.

Grab the upper and lower radiator hoses to see if you have any flow.  Bottom hose temp should be close to top hose temp if you have water flow. No flow makes the thermostat suspect.

If you overheat while driving at highway speed, the fan is not a factor.  Fan is important when driving at slower speeds or stop/go traffic.  Check for missing blades.  if fan is new to you, check for proper rotation direction - Not all fans rotate the same direction.

Fan clutch is not that expensive and easy to change out if it is dead.

Thermostat is easy to check with pan of hot water to see if it opens.

-Mark.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 07:09:41 PM »
Add 2 cents on the water pump. Rebuild is bearing, seal, never saw a worn out impeller.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

basecoupe#79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »
Add 2 cents on the water pump. Rebuild is bearing, seal, never saw a worn out impeller.
I have seen impellers eaten down by rust. Newer impellers that you get in the rebuild kits are more efficient at moving coolant.