Author Topic: 1967 convertible trim tag info.... possible pace car tag?  (Read 4887 times)

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
1967 convertible trim tag info.... possible pace car tag?
« on: September 15, 2018, 06:07:37 AM »
Hello all. I have a 67 car with a questionable trim tag on it. I know the tag DOES NOT belong on the car it is on, but i am curious to the possibilty of it being a pace car trim tag? About the only tag info that matches the car is that it is a convertible body. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for now. The tag reads as follows....

04A                                      R
ST       67 - 12667        NOR104204      BODY
TR       732 - Z                        O - 1          PAINT
            WD        2LG        3SL
            4N         5Y -

Possible matching VIN to tag is: 124677N203918

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: 1967 convertible trim tag info.... possible pace car tag?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:57:09 AM »
Can you post a picture of the tag?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »
The 1967 trim tag pic if this works

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
 That is a zero byte file and doesn't open. Something went wrong when you saved it.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »
Retry 1967 camaro trim tag pic

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »
Any info on the 67 trim tag pic? I assume it did post.....shows views. Thanks

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »
Photo shows up, thanks for posting. I don't stray far from the '69 MY Camaros but there are very knowledgeable people here who will be able to advise on authenticity of that tag.
Just curious though, you posted a possible VIN matching to that tag, how did you determine that as a possibility? That car known to you?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
Hello again. I own this particular car and have plenty of 1st gen knowledge, but not as much as the expert people on this forum. I concluded right away when i looked at the trim tag that it did not belong on this particular Camaro. The ONLY option that matchex up is that it is a convertible car. I bought it in a package deal with another 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 rag top car with good options. The car in question is mostly a parts car. The VIN does not match up to the other two locations and i believe it is installed backwards. Viewing with door open it is inverted 180, but it does have the rosette rivets. Probably glued or panel welded in. Car is in bad shape with one repaint since plates swapped and has multi colored body panels now. Any trim tag info, aside from it's valuable options, would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide what to do with the car.
 Thanks, Shawn

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:56:13 AM »
Not hearing much on here. I think what i conclude is that the tag came off a "dealer replica" of the Pace cars. It does not show the fleet number of -061A which would verify it as an authentic one. It has every other detail minus the 061A. This tag also is marked as a shoulder belt car. When i purchased the cars i got boxes of misc pieces left in the trunk of the parts car. One of the things i found was an old key tag marked "pace car". Leads me to believe previous owner at least had a car resembling one. I inquired about maybe other camaros being at the place where these two were sold in Wisconsin. Guy claims there was a wrecked and stripped body there leading me to assume it may have been the car of the trim tag and VIN? He wouldn't give me any info to research the story....such as previous owners names. This whole thing is a sad shame for what would be a high option car.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
Hang in there Shawn, am sure it's only a matter of time until Kurt and other knowledgeable (busy!) folk will comment
Tim in Australia.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
It's an original pacer tag. BB 4-speed too. Factory replica with the blue stripe.
That VIN matches the tag. 
If I'm understanding, the VIN and tag are on a shell, but you don't think either are original to the shell, but probably off another wrecked shell (that may be gone).
Kurt S
CRG

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
Hi Kurt. Yes, that is correct that the tag and VIN plate are off another car from a previous owner from my inspection and research. My gut told me plate was real with VIN date in the correct matching range, but knew i needed to find out. I have a name on other car title i can try to reach, but it will be some leg work. I have bad feeling it is crushed from the rumor of hearing the place was being "cleaned up". The guy i got car from never returned my inquiry about previous owner names. Whole deal stinks now knowing it may have been saveable. If i find anything out i will repost.
Thanks Kurt and others. I have used CRG for years, but just now joined the forum.
Shawn

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 03:38:12 PM »
Shawn, did you check the partial VINs?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Toomanycamaros

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »
Hi. Yes i checked the partial VIN under the windshield cowl panel......no match. This car is a base model 327 PG trans car from what i can tell. Old Marina blue paint and Black std buckets.....NON RS or SS convertible. I bought 2 Convertibles and lot of parts in group deal. Previous owner obviously had more than these two camaros from where they came from at some point in time. I bought the cars from a "car flipper" who actually never unloaded them off his 3 car trailer from his trip back to Colorado from Wisconsin. The flipper refused to reveal previous owner info thinking he would lose oportunity to make more money.....we agreed on a $ deal if the car in Wisconsin was right for the tags, but he never got back to me. There is a very small chance i can check into these facts with any luck. I have doubts about finding the Pace car......needle in a gigantic hay stack!

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:34 PM »
If you post the VIN of the cars you got maybe the previous owner has been here to visit. Bypass the "car flipper"....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

anything