Author Topic: BB curved neck radiator  (Read 2986 times)

DeanZ10

• View Profile
BB curved neck radiator
« on: September 14, 2018, 03:04:29 AM »
Apparently me asking for information to obtain a radiator is a classified ad. So, instead I will try a new approach.
I ordered a Harrison curved neck radiator from HBC. They called the next day to tell me that they could not get a core made...any idea what that means? I know they make repo radiators, so where do those cores come from? Anyone know if Harrison is still in business and actually makes these radiators? If not, did they just recently stop production?
If anyone has faced a similar situation during a restoration, I would appreciate hearing how you resolved your radiator quest.
Thanks in advance.
Dean

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: BB curved neck radiator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »
There you go Dean!! It all comes down to Symantecs and how you word things!!!

In 1995, General Motors spun off its components' makers (one of them was Harrison) as "Delphi Automotive Systems" (later "Delphi Corporation") and the Harrison Radiator business was renamed "Delphi Harrison Thermal Systems". Delphi filed for bankruptcy in 2005 and emerged in 2009. The Harrison business and the Lockport manufacturing plant were repurchased by General Motors as part of its Automotive Components Group in October 2009. So yes, they're still around!

I'm not sure what they mean by not being able to get a core made. I don't believe HB actually MAKES their radiators. I would venture to guess they purchase them already assembled from one of the restoration companies. I don't know who that is, but there are any number of radiator companies that can make cores and build radiators!

Ed

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:27:28 AM »
Thank you for the info!
Dean

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:00:47 AM »
Lloyd found a similar issue with HBC being unable to source a reproduction radiator core; Kurt confirmed who was the supplier to HBC: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16618.0;all
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
My last career stop was as a Supply Chain Analyst for a company in the automotive industry. I had responsibility for a low volume radiator, maybe 5,000 units annually. The supplier was sold to a larger company and they wasted no time no time notifying us they would no longer supply the radiator. In researching history, they were the 3rd supplier in 10 years.

Suppliers like these don't want low volume production. They take the business when they have available capacity and drop it when they need room for a better customer. I'm sure you have heard the stories about how the auto industry pushes its suppliers around. In many cases, there are few suppliers worldwide with the capability of producing the quality and volume you're looking for and they know it. They can be just as tough.

BTW the radiator was for a vehicle still in production. When the vehicle is no longer in production, it can be very difficult to convince a supplier to continue to service it. They may offer one last production run to cover the service life of 10 years. Cost is often higher. You have to service it so you're stuck with the inventory. Getting to be very common with parts having a circuit card, like fuel pumps, key fobs.

HBC is in no position to dictate terms to a supplier of radiators.

Learning more and more about less and less...

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
Lloyd found a similar issue with HBC being unable to source a reproduction radiator core; Kurt confirmed who was the supplier to HBC:

If you don't want to trudge through that thread, Kurt said:

"HBC's vendor is Heatex Radiator.  Interesting, they are owned by LKQ...."

Ed

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of where the Harrison name is stamped? Unfortunately I do not have the original radiator to send out and piece together. I just need the most correct version I can get at this point.
Also, I see two different versions of the curved neck. One seems to be parallel with the radiator top and the other appears to be angled up slightly towards the hood. Which is correct?

Thanks for the info and help.
Dean

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
Here's a picture of mine. Looks like it kicks up a little...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981