Author Topic: Prothane poly bushings in leafsprings  (Read 5215 times)

bheston

• View Profile
Prothane poly bushings in leafsprings
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
I installed new Prothane poly bushings in the leafsprings and I now have buyers remorse. I greased the bushings exactly like was written in the instructions. Even with my best effort, the rear shackles area creaking like an old rocking chair. I called Prothane and the recommendation I tightened the bolts more so it bottoms out on the inner sleeve. I cranked it as tight as I could with a wrench and creaking was slightly less. I’m thinking about going back to rubber. Anyone have any experience either way?

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Prothane poly bushings in leafsprings
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
I was going to use all poly on my last car but the shop owner just shook his head. Hard ride and noisy he said. He uses them on his VIR car but does not street drive it much.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
I use the poly on the sub frame bushings, but when it comes to suspension, I prefer (and use) plain ole rubber.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:49:04 AM »
I use the poly on the sub frame bushings, but when it comes to suspension, I prefer (and use) plain ole rubber.
Thats what I did.  Have a set of original rubber a-frame bushings to install some day. 

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
I use a mix, solid alum for the subframe, poly for the mono leafs (so provide stiffness) and rubber up front.  Yes ride is a little harsh, but firm.

starcruser

• 69 SS/RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
I rebuilt a set of rear leaf springs and used the poly bushings and had the same results. I also added a rear sway bar. I was told how much better it would handle. Put it in a curve with uneven pavement and came extremely close to crashing my car. Today those bushings and sway bar are packed away in my garage.
Long time Camaro man.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
I installed new Prothane poly bushings in the leafsprings and I now have buyers remorse. I greased the bushings exactly like was written in the instructions. Even with my best effort, the rear shackles area creaking like an old rocking chair. I called Prothane and the recommendation I tightened the bolts more so it bottoms out on the inner sleeve. I cranked it as tight as I could with a wrench and creaking was slightly less. I’m thinking about going back to rubber. Anyone have any experience either way?

Superior design to Prothane: http://www.globalwest.net/camaro-del-a-lum-rear-leaf-spring-shackle-kit-global-west-1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1981.html

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »
I rebuilt a set of rear leaf springs and used the poly bushings and had the same results. I also added a rear sway bar. I was told how much better it would handle. Put it in a curve with uneven pavement and came extremely close to crashing my car. Today those bushings and sway bar are packed away in my garage.

Incorrect sway bar diameters can have a negative effect on handling.

anything