Author Topic: Manual convertible top  (Read 2705 times)

jim28607

• View Profile
Manual convertible top
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:09:13 PM »
Just bought a 68 rs/ss convertable,
and the manual top wont go all the way open, seems to
Be some interference with the back glass or the frame bow at the top of the glass!!
Any ideas ?
Thank You
69 RS/SS BB 4 spd
68  RS/SS Convertable BB 4spd

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Manual convertible top
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
So it has the aftermarket glass window, and I assume you've not lowered it before.  Does it also have a zipper around the glass?  If so, I'd unzip the glass and drop it down into the well, then see if the top can be fully lowered.  Also post pictures of your binding point if possible, and contact the seller and ask them about it as well. 

jim28607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply , so is it fact that glass is aftermarket?
No zipper window appears to be sewn in ?
Thank you
69 RS/SS BB 4 spd

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Factory tops had the plastic rear window, but the glass ones should function if installed correctly, zipper or not.  I was just thinking to try unzipping if it had one, and see what happened.  You may need to post some pictures of the problem area.  I'd also put in a call to the seller.     

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
Aftermarket glass and/or thicker weight vinyl will all effect stack height.  It is very challenging to get even a factory top with thin weight vinyl to clip into the manual top clips.  You have to fold it correctly and make sure there is no binding anywhere.  With an aftermarket glass top, I would guess there is no way to fix that easily.  With a power top its not as noticeable since the rams will hold it down even if the stack height is to large.

In order to have a shot at clipping it, you would have to have the factory 32oz vinyl with the non zipped plastic rear window. Even then you have to stop the top halfway and pull out the mid fold. There should be some posts about that around here.

The only other suggestion I have to to alter the clip location. It is just bolted to the inner qtr.  You could make a small extension to the metal end to raise the clip up to where the frame is, to at least get it clipped.  Stack height will be too high, but at least it won't fly open while driving.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
 Are you sure the well liner has enough depth? That would definitely prevent the top from sitting down. It is also another reason some people can't get the boots on correctly.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

jim28607

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 01:50:17 AM »
Thank You for the input,
I have realized that the glass window
is too wide to fit between the trunk
Hinges, obviously not the correct rear window!!!
Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for the help
69 RS/SS BB 4 spd

anything