Author Topic: Carter Quadrajet Choke Linkage  (Read 3840 times)

Buzz67

• View Profile
Carter Quadrajet Choke Linkage
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:38:45 AM »
Hello Members,

I have reached a major pitfall in installing my Qjet carb. I have a May '67 L35 with the M40 400 trans which had a spreadbore Holley 850 cfm when purchased. I have been told it should a Carter Qjet instead of the more common Rochester and CRG reports seem to confirm this. 

http://www.camaros.org/carb.shtml#cart

Carter Carburetors

The Carter "YF" single barrel carburetor was used only in 1967, and only on the six-cylinder engines with A.I.R. (Air Injection Reactor, aka "Smog"). Other than this application, no other "Carter designed" carburetors (AFB, AVS, WCFB or Thermoquad) were ever installed from the factory on a first-generation Camaro. However, Carter was also licensed to build the Quadrajet as a secondary source, and supplied carburetors to not only Chevrolet, but other GM divisions as well. Note that all Carter-built Quadrajet carburetors will have the same part number and ID number as the Rochester-built Quadrajets, but will have "MFG BY CARTER CARBURETOR FOR GMC" cast into the carburetor body. 

Things went smoothly until I tried to come up with the proper choke linkage. Nothing I have been able to acquire through parts vendors is the right part. If those members with this setup could post some pics of their choke linkage would be immensely helpful. And for those with any ideas or a solution to my problem would be very appreciated!

If anyone has one of these linkage rods they would part with PLEASE contact me here through the forum.

Thanks everyone!

Buzz
'67 RS/SS L35, M40, Red/Red Coupe, NOR
Original Drivetrain w/3.73 posi
Original Rally Wheels, Manual Disc, Steering
3rd Owner

LVN 67

• John 67 NOR 02E L-35/T400, 6th Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Carter Quadrajet Choke Linkage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:50:39 AM »
Hope this what your looking for. Linkage is on my 67 L-35/T400. Carb is a Q-jet 7027210.

LVN 67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:00:59 AM »
Let me try another picture

Buzz67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »
Hi John!

I'm not near the car, but at this time I believe it is what I'm needing. Is your carb a Carter or a Rochester. Just curious because I believe both are configured the same and are only different in name and slight difference in coloration. If it is, I'd like a picture from the front, facing the carburator. If I can trouble you for that.

I thought I would be traveling tomorrow, but that has now changed. I will try to get a picture of my carb on the intake and post it. Thanks a BUNCH and stay tuned.....

Buzz
3rd Owner

LVN 67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:57:52 AM »
  Hi Buzz

Hope this will help. My carb is a Rochester built 4MV.

Buzz67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:51:59 AM »
I believe that will do me. My choke lever is ever so slightly different. I imagine it's just because that's how Carter chose to manufacture it. But I believe I will pattern my home handcrafted linkage after yours. And finish it the same.

You have a very nicely detailed motor! I went out to take some pics of my motor today, but the batteries were dead, much to my surprise! And not enough new ones to replace them. We'll be going to town tomorrow and AAs are on the shopping list.
3rd Owner

Buzz67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
Well, I bought a length of 1/8" round cold roll steel today that is just .004 larger in diameter than the stock choke rods I've measured. So when I get a chance, I will get started at forming a replacement rod.
3rd Owner

Buzz67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:51 AM »
I formed up the linkage rod today. VERY HAPPY with how it turned out. I do still need to get the proper clip to finish it. And decide whether to plate it or just paint it. I'll probably need to plate other items later on, so for now, I think I will just paint it.
3rd Owner