Author Topic: One Owner '69 Z/28  (Read 7496 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: One Owner '69 Z/28
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 06:39:43 AM »
Talked today to the CEO of the company where the car is being sold. He is going to ad the cowl tag pic. He said he has found evidence that the car has been repainted. The family and 75 year old sister of the deceased original owner, and she swears it has NEVER been painted. They turned down an offer of 65K!! Danny 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 02:48:56 AM »
I wouldn't buy without having someone who is Camaro-savy with me. Too much at stake.
They were asking $90K, so turning down $65K is no surprise.

Clearly it had some style trim added. And who knows what parts are original on the 350 engine.
The price for Z28 is $506 - it would be one of the first Z's with spoilers included.
Kurt S
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 03:30:45 AM »
Thanx Kurt as always for your time. Let me be clear about something... It wasn't me who made the offer. The CEO just mentioned to me that SOMEONE made a 65K offer. And of course it was turned down. We have let it go, as there is too much unforeseen at this point. Danny

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
I do not think the car has been painted... there are too many tell tales that it hasn't been painted. the lower lip of the rear valence, the lower quarters behind the rear wheel, the trunk jamb and the stripes, the fender drops into the engine compartment.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
The CEO said that he looked it over with his painter and they feel it was repainted single stage. And that maybe it was damaged in shipping from GM and the dealer repaired/repainted it. THEN he brought his paint rep in to see it and he is an expert and he agreed with their findings. So who really knows. It sure looks original to me. By the time you buy it, have it shipped to CA, pay MAJOR taxes/transfer fees, insure it.... THEN ya sink THOUSANDS of dollars in the original engine rebuild, install it, buy a new master cylinder and other items incorrect including smog etc... This is a ONE HUNDRED & TWENTY THOUSAND dollar car all day! If the motor was in it ready to go and still running survival well, then MAYBE it could pull some bigger money. But not 90K...JMO.. FWIW these days.. Danny 

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 03:54:34 PM »
I do not think the car has been painted... there are too many tell tales that it hasn't been painted. the lower lip of the rear valence, the lower quarters behind the rear wheel, the trunk jamb and the stripes, the fender drops into the engine compartment.

There was one good picture of the cowl in particular, and I can't find it now, but it clearly showed the white overspray from painting the top of the cowl that just catches the top of the trim tag, along with mild corrosion from poor blackout coverage.  This appears to be original to me, at least in this area.  Repainted cars so often get these little details incorrect (too neatly done) and amature painters that aren't familiar with factory processes often see an original paint car with overspray in this area and automatically assume the car has been painted before.   

So if it has been painted before, I can't imagine any painter getting the cowl details correct, especially if the repaint was done very early in the cars life when no body cared about details like this.  They were usually viewed as sloppy work and made neater during a repaint.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2018, 04:05:02 AM »
Cowl Tag picture has been added to second link... Danny

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 08:13:48 AM »
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway