Author Topic: 1969 Astro Vent Seal Kit K227  (Read 2990 times)

clm69z28

• View Profile
1969 Astro Vent Seal Kit K227
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »
I am in the process of replacing the Astro dash vent seals and I can't identify all of them included in this kit. I have searched the AIM but can't locate all of the seals that are included.  Any help would be appreciated.

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Astro Vent Seal Kit K227
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
I have searched the AIM but can't locate all of the seals that are included.  Any help would be appreciated.

I think it may be shown I the Body Manual, or a Parts and Accessories catalog.  ( A detailed diagram )

Someone here has posted the sheet before & I printed a hardcopy at home
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
How about a picture of your kit? Hard to explain anything without pictures to go by.

- Warren

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:09:27 PM »
Yes, a picture always helps. This is from one of the Camaro websites. I have identified a couple of them, but there are still a few I don't understand where they go.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
So I have rebuilt my 69 astrovents and lets just say the are repro parts and may be lacking in some areas :) (I am not sure R or L, but they only fit one way)

Clockwise from top left (inside of astrovents clamped by metal, pass side duct connector, firewall to duct seal, other side firewall to duct seal, pass side vent assembly to dash isolator, drivers side vent isolators (two strips), and screws)

So I tried to find my spare set this morning and could not find them, so this is from memory, which at my age might not be all there :)

The flexible ABS ducts mount to the firewall with those special 3 large headed screws, the circle seals get contact cemented to the ducts, but not to the firewall.  Screw pressure seals them. 

The pass side has that intermediate dryer vent hose that connects the ABS duct to the hard plastic vent assemblies.   

Inside the ABS duct is the flappers.  The flat sheet rubber is for the flappers.  The flappers are mounted on shafts, remove the flappers from the shafts, pull out shafts, then you can pull up flappers.  The rubber sheet is sandwiched between two metal plates riveted together.  Grind the rivets to separate.  Pop rivets work well to re-assemble.  Note, sometime the ABS is cracked around screws and shaft holes.  You can use ABS repair kits and a soldering iron to repair.

So the large foam and the two strips are the weird ones.  On the drivers side the hard plastic vent assembly is mounted in the dash.  The two strips (top and bottom) are used as anti rattle isolators.  Again contact cement them to vent assembly, but not to other side. only one side gets glued :) 

The large rectangle must be for the pass side isolator.  I have a early 69 and seem to recall the same two small strips on the pass side same as the drivers side. But pay attention to the seals and isolators that are there and duplicate them.

Also now is the time to replace the chromed dash vents and felts! 

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Kevin, thank you for the very detailed response. You can always count on somebody giving some great advice/ directions on this website. I think the anti-rattle strips were throwing me, as I could not find those in the book. Is there one for each of the vents, or is there 2 only on the driver side? Most of my seals were gone so I wasn't able to compare to mine. Thanks again.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:50:22 PM »
OK, found my spare pass vent.  The two strips actually go on the pass side!  The glue to the sides facing forward.  There are two flat areas to glue to.  The rectangle goes on the drivers side to seal between the hard plastic vent assembly and the ABS vent housing.  The factory used a type of petroleum foam weatherstrip placed around the dash side of the vent.  I would just use closed cell foam weather strip for HD/Lowes. Wish I had pics for you! :(   

clm69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 04:50:32 AM »
Kevin, I think I understand it now. Thanks again.

anything