Author Topic: 12 Bolt Axle Asm Weight  (Read 6822 times)

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: 12 Bolt Axle Asm Weight
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 04:18:35 AM »
A bit off but related to this topic, in that A few have mentioned we need to work smarter as we get older.
I saw a similar item for sale in the Old days 80's from a Camaro parts vendor so I copied it. I purchased a Chevy engine rolling stand you see at the swap meets for about $25.00. We then machined some steel saddles and cut down the side and welded the flat bar and saddles in place and gave it a coat of Chevy Orange, It is shaped like a "U" on purpose to allow a floor jack to be inserted to raise it off the saddles, It Works great! I have had about 4 rears job on this including a 69 Chevelle rear &  65 Buick Rivera (Yes it barely fit ha)
It Even disassembles and fits in the original Box for storage when not in use

I like sharing working smarter.

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
One other way to get the weight would be to get the vehicle (the one the guy will use to haul the axle to the shipper) weight without this axle in the bed. This is known as the Tare or Unladen weight. Vehicle scales can be found at salvage yards, recycling stations and grain handling businesses. After Tare weight is established, owner can go back to where axle is located, load into the same vehicle, then go over the same scale and establish the Gross weight. Take the gross weight, subtract the Tare weight and you will have the axle weight. 
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 03:28:59 PM »
Good information from all and very much appreciated.  I will have my brother set things up for 210lbs and that should be pretty darned close. 
BTW - 169INDY - Nice axle cradle/dolly.  I would bet that some folks on this forum wouldn't mind buying one from you if available.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
One other way to get the weight would be to get the vehicle (the one the guy will use to haul the axle to the shipper) weight without this axle in the bed. This is known as the Tare or Unladen weight. Vehicle scales can be found at salvage yards, recycling stations and grain handling businesses. After Tare weight is established, owner can go back to where axle is located, load into the same vehicle, then go over the same scale and establish the Gross weight. Take the gross weight, subtract the Tare weight and you will have the axle weight. 

Bentley?  Have you been doing some 'clean up' as I have?  :)

I've been cleaning up around my 'old dirty shop'; getting rid of some things that have been stored under the shed for nearly 40 years, so recently I hunted down a scrap metal place about 10 miles away, and carried 800 lbs of scrap metal (including an old cracked '67 302 block that I'd been keeping since 1972 for some goofy reason!)   I was paid around $8/100lbs...    and they do have such a scale as you describe... first time I'd done that since 1977 when I hauled an old '55 body to a different scrap metal company.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
Wow, that light, I am getting old quick! About 14 years ago I swapped out a rearend in a 3/4 ton Suburban I owned. Heavy but managable. Just did the 12 bolt in the Z, would have guessed 500lbs😥, lol.

Nice diff rack!

Like some here, got to get back to cleaning stuff out. Was off to a good start, got a trailer out to scrap. When it gets to the pretty good stuff, I hoard. Nothing even special, got cold feet with a few items I pm'd Cook.
With the passing of my mother in law early this summer, and cleaning her place out, my wife and I said anything not being used is going.

However,the bushings and balljoints I replaced on the Z, my kid can pitch when I croak, along with a few other items which really arent any good, but cant get rid of. Thats why the exhaust is going back on it, not sitting around another 50 years.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:54:07 PM »
Scales at a scrap metal recycling place that pays by weight will invariably read on the light side, at least in my own experience down here.
Good to see from earlier posts how much a 12-bolt does weigh. I can still remember pulling and loading a fully-assembled Dana 60 rear from under a Camaro on my own, in a cramped and uneven driveway...... not something I would choose to do again.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway