Author Topic: Front Seat Installation  (Read 3505 times)

KK302

• View Profile
Front Seat Installation
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm assuming that the front bucket seat tracks should be installed on top of the carpet with holes punched through for the bolts to go through? As opposed to cutting the carpet for the track assembly to mount directly to the floor. Is that the correct way to do it? I looked in the Original Car and Details section, but there wasn't a picture showing this specific area and a search didn't reveal any info either.

Thank you

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Front Seat Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
No holes punched.  Carpet had a slit cut along both sides of the foot that allows carpet to fold back over and cover the foot and bolt head.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
 My original 67 has the (original) front carpet slit starting from the rear edge to the seats front bolts

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KK302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
No holes punched.  Carpet had a slit cut along both sides of the foot that allows carpet to fold back over and cover the foot and bolt head.
My original 67 has the (original) front carpet slit starting from the rear edge to the seats front bolts

Mike

Thanks for the quick replies. Perfect timing. I just finished the carpet install and I'm ready to install the seats. So if I understand correctly. There is a slit in the carpet for each track that runs from the rear bolt hole to the front bolt hole for each seat. Is that correct?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
 The slit starts from the rear carpet edge. Here is a link to a previous discussion:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9812.msg77499#msg77499
I recommend to lay out the carpet and install the door sill plates before slitting the carpet so you get a more accurate cut. A friend slit his rug first and put the sill plates on later and when pressing the rug for a good fit that caused the carpet to pull slightly and made the slit visible.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KK302

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
The slit starts from the rear carpet edge. Here is a link to a previous discussion:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9812.msg77499#msg77499
I recommend to lay out the carpet and install the door sill plates before slitting the carpet so you get a more accurate cut. A friend slit his rug first and put the sill plates on later and when pressing the rug for a good fit that caused the carpet to pull slightly and made the slit visible.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the link to that previous discussion. It explains it perfectly and the pictures are excellent.

Also a great point about installing the sill plates first. I was going to leave them until last so as to not damage them. But I think I have an old pair laying around the shop which I'll use to get everything lined up before I cut.

Thanks again for your help.

Kurt

anything