Author Topic: '67 U17 Oil Pressure Line  (Read 2482 times)

Buzz67

• View Profile
'67 U17 Oil Pressure Line
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:28 AM »
Hello Members,

I have some questions regarding the '67 console oil pressure line which appears on U17, A4 of the '67 AIM. I'm using the Heartbeat City kit that is referenced as "OE Style":

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/25438/1967-Camaro-BB-Oil-Line-Kit-OE-Style-396-325-HP/

This line which is described as "assembly line correct" incorporates a black nylon line, which the AIM refers to as "hose". My first question is, does the factory line have the brass orifices that the HBC kit has? These orifices can be seen in the line, if the kit illustration is enlarged. Has anyone installed this kit in their car? Did you use the orifices in one or both ends of the line and are you satisfied with how the oil gauge responds to pressure changes? My second question is, did you bleed the line during the installation?

I've installed aftermarket Stewart Warner oil pressure gauges in the past and these used copper or nylon lines that simply used the compression fittings at the ends, but didn't use any orifices to control the oil in the line. Does anyone know if the factory U17 oil pressure lines have these orifices? I'm just trying to avoid any problems with the oil gauge due to improperly installing this line and having to correct something later on.

Thanks,
Buzz
'67 RS/SS L35, M40, Red/Red Coupe, NOR
Original Drivetrain w/3.73 posi
Original Rally Wheels, Manual Disc, Steering
3rd Owner

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: '67 U17 Oil Pressure Line
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
 I can tell you that the oil line in 67 was translucent and not black. Black was used later from what I have seen.
As for fittings it looks like more than one style was used on the block and early Camaro's used a brass bulkhead connector on the firewall and later replaced with a grommet.
Here is a link to a past discussion:   http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13589.0
I reused the original brass ends on one side but the other side broke (cracked) when I tried to open it for the new line so I used one in the Bosh oil line kit that I bought. The Bosh kit also has the brass sleeve inserts so the line doesn't collapse when the nut is tightened around the compression end.

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Buzz67

• View Profile
Re: '67 U17 Oil Pressure Line
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 01:40:21 AM »
I can tell you that the oil line in 67 was translucent and not black. Black was used later from what I have seen.
As for fittings it looks like more than one style was used on the block and early Camaro's used a brass bulkhead connector on the firewall and later replaced with a grommet.
Here is a link to a past discussion:   http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13589.0
I reused the original brass ends on one side but the other side broke (crmost partacked) when I tried to open it for the new line so I used one in the Bosh oil line kit that I bought. The Bosh kit also has the brass sleeve inserts so the line doesn't collapse when the nut is tightened around the compression end.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I had read the that previous discussion which, for the most part, was about the brass fittings in the block. I was wondering about those brass inserts in the line. I never gave it a thought that they were there to prevent the line being crushed. Thanks for the explanation and answering my question!

Best regards,
Buzz
'67 RS/SS L35, M40, Red/Red Coupe, NOR
Original Drivetrain w/3.73 posi
Original Rally Wheels, Manual Disc, Steering
3rd Owner

anything