Author Topic: 69 Door Window Regulator Repair  (Read 2632 times)

melav8r

• View Profile
69 Door Window Regulator Repair
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
Drivers door window on my 69 cranked down normally but was binding heavily on the way up. Per the Fisher Body Service Manual I removed the 2 lower sash channel cam stud nuts, isolating the window from the window regulator  and the window went up and down the track easily but the regulator was still difficult to crank up so I knew I had a bad regulator.

Removed the window regulator and after removing the high tension flat steel coil/spring drilled out the 3 rivets that hold the cup containing the splined shaft and drive gear, cleaned and inspected all the parts inside the cup and everything looks ok but I'm not sure about the stainless spring that goes inside the cup. One end has a small loop that goes towards the bottom of the cup but the top end has a jagged end like maybe the tip of the spring broke off.

Is there supposed to be a bend or another hook on the top end of it? I didn't find any broken fragment on disassembly either.
I've never tore into one of these so not sure what that spring should look like.
I found a couple images online of a regulator spring for different applications and they show a bend at the top end of the spring.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: 69 Door Window Regulator Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
I have found that all is needed is to use hot water and cleaning solution and blast out the gear box where the shaft goes in, after the chunky black grease comes out I use MOBILE BLACK PEARL open face gear lubricant and inject it through the 1/8" hole at the base or through the edge slot where the large gear comes out of the box until it comes out the other side... cycle the gear box a few times, make sure it's full of grease, then when reinstalling get some white lithium grease and lubricate the tracks... if adjusted correctly you should not need to help the window up or down, it should operate exactly as designed.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

melav8r

• View Profile
Re: 69 Door Window Regulator Repair
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Went to the LA Pomona swap meet today and picked up a window regulator from a late 60’s early 70’s GM car for $10, drilled out the rivets that hold the cup and the top of the spring does has a small bend in it, also the shaft and pinion drive gear assembly are identical.
Problem solved.

anything