Author Topic: JM Coded Engine... has anyone ever seen a JM coded engine block?  (Read 10579 times)

Opium Motors

• View Profile
Re: JM Coded Engine... has anyone ever seen a JM coded engine block?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 12:45:42 AM »
I was designed on the GM drafting table during the horsepower wars. I was utilized on the race track for a number of years with the idea I would be given the opportunity to be an RPO item but alas I was cancelled.

The rest is a much too long of story.
1968 Camaro RS Convertible 327 4 Speed Corvette Bronze
1973 Corvette 454

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 01:25:43 AM »
Summation - Nova fanatics have dug for years and never found a real L89 Nova. Don't believe articles, they print what the owner tells them....
Kurt S
CRG

Opium Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 01:59:41 AM »
Sigh,

Ok, I have a Corvette with a Big Block with factory Side Pipes, one would say 'so what, so do plenty of folks' while yes, but, mine is a 1973 and there was NO RPO for Side Pipes in 1973, no part number listed, no bulletins no paperwork exist so it should not have happened by the standards given.

But it did, for my neighbor bought the car new, he wanted Side Pipes and he got them, from the factory, I was there when it came off the trailer at the dealership. He owned a Machine Shop and was friends with the Dealership (They built Drag Cars in the 60's) So when he wanted Side Pipes he got Side Pipes.

So the moral of the story is, back then if you wanted something, pretty much you got it. So what if that makes it a 1 of 1 it does not matter. I don't go around beating my chest that I have a million dollar car because of this; but I will say, ain't it cool I am the only one with a 1973 BBC with Factory Side Pipes, Or am I???
1973 Corvette 454

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 02:04:52 AM »
back then if you wanted something, pretty much you got it.
Yup, people tell stories about Camaro golden unicorns (e.g. L89 with JL8 brakes, 69 Z with special cam, etc) but I can't recall a single one holding up to scrutiny. The L89 turned out to be a L48 car....
The factory ordering process is well-known as are the exceptions and how they could occur.
Kurt S
CRG

Opium Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 02:36:20 AM »

Camaro golden unicorns

here's one, 327-210hp with factory Muncie 4 Speed. It is on a car so original it still has tags around suspension parts. Stats says no Muncie but it is, speedo goes through the right hole and the VIN is clearly stamped on it. I assume rather then an order it was simply the young pot smoker grabbed the wrong tranny and off it went. But it show once again that there are exceptions to the rule.
1973 Corvette 454

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 03:09:07 AM »
Tell us more. Have pics to support it?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Opium Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
I will do an extensive details photographs, right now I’m in West Texas and the car is at my Ranch in Oklahoma. So it will be this fall.
1973 Corvette 454

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 03:55:49 AM »
Interesting. I will send you a pm or an email with my contact info. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 07:29:51 AM »

Camaro golden unicorns

here's one, 327-210hp with factory Muncie 4 Speed. It is on a car so original it still has tags around suspension parts. Stats says no Muncie but it is, speedo goes through the right hole and the VIN is clearly stamped on it. I assume rather then an order it was simply the young pot smoker grabbed the wrong tranny and off it went. But it show once again that there are exceptions to the rule.

So EXACTLY who told the person to punch the correct hole in the firewall prior to the HIPPIE choosing the wrong transmission?

I never say never EXCEPT to say I NEVER SPEAK IN ABSOLUTES.

Many here have admitted our mistaken conclusions after having been presented with evidence which CLEARLY ILLUSTRATED the contradictory claims being asserted.

I suspect if there were a Muncie installed on the assembly line the car was a 327 4 bbl 4 speed with positraction...
This referenced combination received a muncie transmission most of the time.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:36:40 AM by firstgenaddict »
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
I suspect if there were a Muncie installed on the assembly line the car was a 327 4 bbl 4 speed with positraction...

James, the 327 Camaro received a Muncie transmission NONE of the time. They all got the Saginaw transmission if the buyer opted for the 4 speed. (And I KNOW you know this!!!)

As for stories you hear along the way, they're all BS. The dealer may have installed the side pipes but the FACTORY didn't. PERIOD. The factory didn't even HAVE side pipes at the assembly plant TO install after the 1969 model year, so it was impossible. As for the Muncie in the 327, without verified proof, it never happened.

I'm sorry Opium Motors, but your memory is failing you.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:52:51 PM by bertfam »

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »

James, the 327 Camaro received a Muncie transmission NONE of the time. They all got the Saginaw transmission if the buyer opted for the 4 speed.

As for stories you hear along the way, they're all BS. The dealer may have installed the side pipes but the FACTORY didn't. PERIOD. The factory didn't even HAVE side pipes at the assembly plant TO install after the 1969 model year, so it was impossible. As for the Muncie in the 327, without verified proof, it never happened.

I'm sorry Opium Motors, but your memory is failing you.

Ed

I strongly suspect Ed is correct; people believe these really oddball stories about parts combinations, but Ed is correct... the factory didn't have those parts, and they didn't do 'one offs' because of the HUGE COSTS associated with it!  On the other hand, dealers would do anything that the customer would pay them to do, assuming they could get the parts and make $$...   In the case of the '68 327 car with Muncie trans (seemingly original), that is exactly the sort of thing that a dealer could easily do, and if it was for the original purchaser (on a new car), they could stamp the trans and do everything very closely to what the factory *would have done*.   It will be interesting to see the VIN stamps on that Muncie trans to see if/how well the stamp matches the engine stamp.. (Did '68 327 engines GET an engine VIN stamping?)...  If not, then there goes that 'check'...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »
Did '68 327 engines GET an engine VIN stamping?

Yes, starting in 1968, ALL engines/transmissions got the partial VIN stamp.

Ed

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Memories of our old cars are great. But without a window sticker or build sheet that is all they are memories.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Opium Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 06:10:43 PM »
bertfam

It happens more then you think.

In 1992 I was doing a brake job on my girlfriends 80 something Fox Body Mercury Capri with a 4 cylinder. She did not tell me she needed brakes until the rotors were shot. New rotors were more expensive then they should have been for her little 4 cylinder was sporting Large Mustang GT brakes, installed from the factory.

Just another, "well, we do not have the right part, let's use this one." You do enough work on cars, you will find that it happen often.

I agree with you 100% NO Low HP or 327 was to receive a Muncie. But one must understand, wrong parts are installed at the factory. It could be as simple as the Saginaw truck had a flat tire, they could not shut down the line so they installed what they had. Fact is, I, you, none of us know why these things happen but the truth remains that it does occur.

Now, as for Side Pipes on a 73, Easy to prove it was factory installed and not dealer. If you know anything about these cars, then you will know that right below the rear chrome bumpers there are exhaust cut outs for the chrome tips. Mine has no cut outs, it was also not filled in. So the dealer would not have cut out the entire tail light panel, refinished and repainted just to have a exhaust tip delete look; that leave only the factory.

1973 Corvette 454

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
I am not sure why everything has to turn into a pissing contest. This gets real old real quick. I come here to learn stuff not go through this with so many subjects.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything