Author Topic: A little help valuing one of my ‘69s  (Read 9764 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
A little help valuing one of my ‘69s
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
A friend is nagging at me to sell him one of my ‘69 Z/28s.  I can’t post photos as the car is stored in a manner where it can’t be photographed.  It is an LA built car with its original short block (numbers match) still in the car.  It came with no top end but I have sourced 186 heads, an intake and a date correct 4053 carb.  It has a GM cowl hood but it’s not original to the car.  12 bolt, Muncie and OEM Hurst shifter present.  Factory Daytona yellow with standard black interior (no vinyl roof).  Full gauges and AM radio.  It has the narrow rear spoiler and is a February build.  Mechanically it needs a full rebuild.  Body wise it had rot in both the front and rear lower window channels but those were both professionally repaired right after I picked the car up about 13 years ago.  Other than that, no rust but plenty of small dents and dings.  Floors and trunk are solid.  Rear window is present but the front broke when removed for rust repairs.  Interior is rough but I have sourced excellent condition original door panels  and a full set of standard seat belts.  Seats will need to be recovered.  Dash is intact as are the console and gauges. 

I wasn’t looking to sell but he is pestering me to no end.  Looking for input on a fair price to buyer and seller so I can make a decision.
Thanks in advance.

BobH11

• View Profile
Re: A little help valuing one of my ‘69s
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
If he can't convince you to sell with an offer your willing to take..I wouldn't let pestering bother you.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Tell the guy to back off or he will NEVER get it.  Tell him to make an offer you can’t refuse. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »
I’ve intended to build the car for years but the reality is I have more cars to build than I have years in which to do it ;D .  For the right price I’d lighten the load.

He made an offer which I considered too low.  I countered and he thought I was too high.  I intentionally left the prices out so as not to prejudice the responses here.  I was interested in the opinions.

Maybe his offer was fair ( but still not enough to pry it out of my hands)  but since he’s a friend I felt I should at least do a reality check.  It’s not like it’s some tire kicker off Craigslist. 

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
25K ?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
20-30k ?
Without pics, I don't see how we are even suppose to ball park it.  ???
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:05:02 AM »
I know of a similar project though it was RED over RED which recently traded hands in the low 30's. Complete with little rust repairs to be performed - minus smog. Interior was recovered in the 70's with diamond tuck... Block needed a sleeve due to a broken ring scoring.
If it would have been 25k I would have probably bought it.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
Without pictures or viewing in person it's impossible to put a price on a particular example.  I can tell you what I've seen in the last couple years in my neck of the woods.
   A local had an RS 69 Z.  None of the original drivetrain in the car but it did have a running drivetrain in it, some of the correct parts had been collected like intake, carb, block, heads.  Nice rot free Arizona car though with complete interior but the entire car needed a total restoration.  He put $25K on it and it lasted 2 days and was gone without even dickering the price. It was probably priced too cheap.    I also checked out a roller 69Z, non RS, no drivetrain, missing some interior pieces and only a few hard to find parts with the car.  It sold for $20k.

Both of these were Norwood cars with untampered X code data tags.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
Orig. short block raises the number, but without pics, really hard to put a firm number. I would say 30ish. You don't have any pics of the car?
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
You probably got the point, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 06:11:24 PM »
I know it’s a difficult proposition to value something without photos.  I had one or two prints from the time of purchase but I can’t locate them to scan them into digital format.  As I said in my original post, it’s stored in a way that makes it nearly impossible to shoot any meaningful pictures (a 20 foot enclosed trailer that has become storage for four or five other car projects).

I appreciate everyone who made the effort to give me a ball park estimate.  I’ll make an attempt to get some sort of photographic evidence to support my description. 

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »
Consider this; E&E
Emotion -vs- Economics
"friend is nagging"
A lot of guys here might flame me for this but, & I know we are not placing puppies for a good home here, but since your first option is not testing the open market for economic maximization then consider the likely hood of the "FRIENDs" intentions to own and finish and enjoy the Car, i.e. the good charity and benefit to him and the hobby (Giving him first chance and untested pricing i.e.. auctions)  -vs- the chance of a well bought quick flip by the potential new owner.
This is in relation to the pricing gap you and he have already placed a sales value on this car, unless this gap is huge the above could temper your decision to sell to the Nagging Friend -vs- getting it out on the market.

"I’ve intended to build the car for years but the reality is I have more cars to build than I have years in which to do it ;D .  For the right price I’d lighten the load."
This is a familiar reality and the fact you recognize it is HUGE, We only have so much time here to pursue these toys,,,,,

It is like a first step in "PROGRAM!"   -- joke,,,,,"!"

Get some pics we are foaming :)

JIM

Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
 He Joe,
  Hope you and your wife are doing well. Check ebay, there is a red 69 z for sale on there at this time that might be a car to compare with. It sounds more original but needs restored.

Best wishes,
Grayling

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
He Joe,
  Hope you and your wife are doing well. Check ebay, there is a red 69 z for sale on there at this time that might be a car to compare with. It sounds more original but needs restored.

Best wishes,
Grayling
Hey Grayling, fancy running into you here :-)

I will do.  Trying to get photos up right now.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »
So I dug the car out - mostly.  Took a ton of photos but I can't get links from either of the hosting I sites I am (trying) to use to show photos up here.  So Right now I'm limited to what I can attach file size wise.

Memory was a tad faulty.  Forgot there was damage to rear of outer wheel house on driver's side.  Trunk floor is pretty chunky and shows pin holes...so I'd say it should be replaced.

I'll see if I can cram a few more shots up here in the next post.

anything