Author Topic: History Needed For Z28, N513449  (Read 4878 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
History Needed For Z28, N513449
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
Looking for anyone why might have some history on a gold 1969 Z28, vin N513449.  One of my customers owns the car now.  He bought it from a flipper guy up in NY.  Was told it was a number's match car in good running order.  We received the engine from this car last week to do a complete rebuild, balance and blueprint.  The car had been in storage until we could get to it. 

What we found once we opened the engine was very troubling.  Once the valve covers and intake were off, there was a milky gravy type oil in the galley and cylinder heads.  Then we spotted a wide area of epoxy and weld on the side wall of the lifter galley.  This engine block was severly cracked at one time and someone tried to fix it incorrectly, threw it back together and sold the car. 

We are going to do our best to repair this engine but it does not look good.  And the value of this vehicle will go down the toilet without its original engine.  It's an early production car with no X codes and no paperwork. 

We are hoping that someone out there in Camaro Land might be able to help us to find out exactly what happened to this engine and why.  We are in the process of hot tanking the block now and will pressure test to find out all of the collateral damage.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

Camaro Hi-Performance

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
Re: History Needed For Z28, N513449
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »
Jerry

This may not be related in any way, but there was an engine on ebay awhile back N513559 V0928DZ with I 24 8 casting.
I have the info in my personal database with no notes on it. Looks like that engine was sold a couple years or so ago.

I wonder if CRG has that in their database?
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:25:02 AM »
Car was out of Nazareth, PA back in 2005.

>It's an early production car with no X codes and no paperwork

The car had a window sticker and POP, they aren't there anymore?
Kurt S
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
I'll check with my customer.  I don't remember him getting any paperwork.  Do you have a file copy in the DB?

What troubles me the most is my customer always sends me out to inspect all cars that he buys.  In the case of this car, the flipper-seller was insulted that he wanted to call me in and basically said that the deal is off if I come to inspect the car.  Now we have a better understanding about why that happened.  I would have spotted this just by removing the oil cap in the valve cover and saved my customer thousands of dollars.

Jerry   

anything