Author Topic: 1969 camaro 307 1 owner car ?  (Read 9549 times)

cars1234

• View Profile
1969 camaro 307 1 owner car ?
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »
Hi,sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but some areas would not show the NEW symbol to post,
I have come across a family that after owning a 1969 Camaro 307  since 1969 NON SS or anything exciting ask me if i wanted to buy the car.
Been awhile since I've seen it and did not look at it really intense as it was not forsale when i last seen it 6yrs ago.
The car is few hrs 6 from me and I'm taking a trailer just in case, It does need some work from setting ,but they only want what i think is very cheap 15k for the car is this a NO BRAINER or am i missing something here,,I've looked on the usual spots but everyone has SS..SS/RS 396 The good stuff for sale i cant find a plain ole 307 for sale,,
Any advise on what i should look for in the car..areas of what are the most concerning should it have a 12 bolt?
man any help or advise would help i got a few corvettes but Camaros way to many models to keep up with.
Thanks and please if this is the wrong area and you can move it or tell me how to ill gladly do so..thanks and God bless our Veterans!!

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 camaro 307 1 owner car ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:31:40 AM »
Welcome, glad you found this site. First, EVERY Camaro has interest, because hardly any two 1st gens. are the same. Many feel the 69 model embodies the epitome of all the cars made in that era. It has beautiful styling, handsome from every angle, iconic to say the least. There were more engine options available in the 1969 model year than any before or since. Your car could be of particular interest as this site is always looking for authentic, original cars to document details and nuances that we all may learn more about the car. early Camaros have been the favorite car to modify and butcher. Many have been made race cars, street rods, restomods, and everything in between. Clean unmolested examples are scarce and the exception, not the rule. so your about to be purchased car has much to celebrate if it has made it over 50 years without succumbing to modifications, or at least, not too many modifications.Most all 69 Camaros have lower fender rust where the lower part meets the door. Floor boards and trunks are also subject to rust as well as rocker panels and frame rails and shock towers (where the rear shock bolts to the trunk area) Front foot wells and cowl seams and lower windshield/dash are rust prone. Most concern would be any structural rust. So examine frame rails, rockers and where subframe bolts to body (subframe mounts are prone to rust, as well).  All rust is serious and needs to be considered because it is all hard and expensive to repair (correctly). Because repairs can quickly exceed the car's value, be aware that repairing is more a passion and loss of use, money and time are factors that need to be considered. Much more preferable, if the car is basically sound, would be to just drive and enjoy and concentrate on preservation. You would be very surprised how well a 50 year old car with rust, bruises, ripped seat, but still in its original, albeit faded, paint can garner a larger crowd than a shiny refurbished car. Why? They are few and far between these days and the fact it is like a just found artifact creates a lot of interest at shows. Enjoy and preserve. And again, welcome aboard.
As an aside, you may notice the last car in my signature was a 307 car.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:50:43 AM »
Thank you and much appreciated advice,I wont go til the weekend so any and all  advice is much needed,
thank you

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:43:50 AM »
Love the DX-1 hood stripe, very under-represented amongst all the hockey-stick and Z28 stripes these days.
Best advice to anyone wanting to buy a 67-69 Camaro to drive and enjoy (as opposed to garage and watch appreciate -perhaps) would be to buy the most solid bodied car you can find, as significant bodywork is where most projects will swallow your budget and then a lot more besides. Nothing wrong with a 307 if you're not intent on having a performance model, and those more-desirable types are  frequently not truly what they purport to be anyway.
Otherwise, can't improve on what Bentley has already offered.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:09:44 AM »
I will concur, with Bentley as well.

Especially for a non SS, or high performance model, all the value is in the body, and then secondly how original it is, (in that order).

Even if the motor or trans had been swapped, if the body is nice your still good at 15K. the lower parts of the fenders may have a little rust, or the corners of the doors. check the rear quarters, and jack the car and just verify the floors are good. As Bentley said check out the frame rails and rear sheet metal. Behind the back window, can sometimes be an issue. The more pics you provide, the more we can help.
Looks like an ideal car to have as a cruiser,  Only mod I see so far is someone painted the grill, and the surround black. If it was mine I would go back with the factory colors. (body color surround, and argent silver grill). I also love the factory stripes.
keep us updated.

Good luck
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »
Wow,so far you guys have me feeling confident about going to look at this car my head is growing with knowledge and a friend told me to go to the ADVANCE ebay section and put in 1969 camaro SOLD see what comes up..closest i could find is this car"i believe" if i'm wrong please advise me..thanks again.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/332666881788?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Don,t let your excitement overwhelm your judgement. It may not be unmolested. The grill and the shine on that color makes me think it has at least be repainted. I doubt the stripe is original and there could be hidden rust repairs. At 50 years old 20 year old make overs can look original.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
I would not be concerned about the level of molestation.  It has a flat hood, and 307 emblems, and frost green.  No dazzling SHP super-rare anything on the surface.  Cant have a 12 bolt, or dual exhaust, or SS equipment so no worries there.

A solid, base V8 '69 Camaro is what it is.  Price is right, and the one owner thing is pretty cool too. Look for rust in the usual places but remember, this is a '69 Camaro.

Hurry up and grab it before someone does.  You have no idea how much excitement you will get when you drive this car around.  It's going to be like a 1 car parade.  People will want to talk your ears off about it wherever you park it.

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »
try to load more pics..see if i get it right this time,,

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »
only lets me do 1 pic at a time

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »
1 more

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 04:38:38 AM »
Rarely do one of these cars go untouched after 50 years. The question is how much? Or, how severe a departure from what it started out as? With an exploding aftermarket, and the resultant plethora of parts for these cars, this presents a 2 edge sword. On one side, these parts have kept these cars popular and on the road because you can start with a lug nut and build a car from that starting point. On the other side, many cars are “embellished” with options so numerous and so many cars have had this treatment, that a newcomer to these cars would think all early Camaros were heavily optioned, luxurious cars. That was the exception! As time passes, it becomes more difficult to know what the car started out as and has evolved and, sadly, passed off as something it is not, nor ever was.

Now, addressing your prospective purchase, I see a console. That was an option. I see an assist strap above the glove box. That was a mid level interior trim upgrade known as “ special interior, aka Z23 option. I also see fabric seat cover known as “Houndstooth” pattern. This is one of those embellishments. That pattern could only be had in the “custom”, aka Z87 interior. A link so you can read for yourself. http://www.camaros.org/interior.shtml
It’s not a put down, nor a deal breaker. Just an observation.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 04:52:22 AM »
it is also not tough to correct, if you so desired and go back with the black standard interior covers. I think the pics you posted look good.
As always, just really check out that body. As mentioned it probabley has had a repaint, so just look for signs of repair or body work.
I understand your excitement, but I would suggest to look at the car with a bit of skepticism. This way you really have a good sense of the car and can evaluate it, prior to purchase.
The mistake that is commonly made is guys get so excited they overlook glaring issues, and purchase a polished turd. Not saying this is the case for you, just make sure you really crawl and check the body everywhere.
have fun and good luck!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

cars1234

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
James,BULLIT65,I'm NOT thin skinned please be honest with me as i ask for advise not sympathy these items you mention,
I had no idea,
Anything on the cowltag i can look for in this model that would make it RARE?
Also are you saying NO way it could have been born with the dash strap and the hounds tooth interior or center console? these are items latter added for the owners taste ,I would love it he put a 12bolt under it LOL.I know that not gonna happen.
But HONESTLY...
If the body is in perfect condition would i be better off buying it and doing an SS clone money wise?putting a 4speed and a 350 /396 in it
or is it worth more if its numbers match put it back as it was born?
Be HONEST with me guys tell me like it is,No political correctness here!!

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
Dash assist handle would be correct for a hounds tooth interior. Look for code 713 on the trim tag.

I don't think you are going to find anything especially rare or valuable on this car. Looks like it has had the normal things reconditioned over the years, so not a survivor  type car.

As others have said, if the body is pretty solid then 15K is market value. Buy it if you like it. Pass on it if you think you are finding a rare bird and flipping for big profit.

307 car is pretty low HP/desirability engine. You would not hurt the value if you upgraded drive train.