Author Topic: Recommendation for electric fuel pump for 502 big block  (Read 5117 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Recommendation for electric fuel pump for 502 big block
« on: February 18, 2007, 04:14:39 AM »
Okay, for my next shameless request in my neverending pursuit of knowledge and picking the brain of those of you who know.  What do you guys recommend for an electric fuel pump.  It is for my 69 Camaro with a 502 big block.  I have 3/8 fuel line as well.  Is the size of this line adequate?  Do I need a fuel regulator as well and if so, what is recommended?  Finally, Where should the fuel pump be installed?  As close to the engine as possible or will anywhere under the car along the frame be okay? 

Thanks guys,

Steve
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:17:16 AM by sdkar »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for electric fuel pump for 502 big block
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:39:44 AM »
The Holley "black" pump is good and you will need to run a regulator.  There are many others to choose from, Mallory, Barry Grant, Magna Flow, etc. but the Holley is a good "steady eddie" pump and it's inexpensive.  You want to mount the pump back by the tank and as low as possible.  Many try to install one back in the rear wheel well.  I have mine in the Old Reliable up where the muffler would be but I have fuel issues from time to time because of the location.  I will be mounting the pump in a different location on my new race car, a 1967 Z28 Stock Eliminator car that will be finished this year.

Jerry

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:41:45 AM »
Is this the pump you were referring to?

http://www.holley.com/12-815-1.asp

Here is Summit Racing's in house pump. It looks to be the exact same thing only about $55 cheaper.  It looks like maybe Holley is building this for Summit to put their own name on it.  Is this the same pump or should I stick with the name brand Holley?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG3136&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Where does the regulator normally get installed?  Near the inlet to the dual line to the carb?  Any chance of getting a pic of a proper installation location? (send to sdkar@bellsouth.net)

Also, what is the reason to have the fuel pump installed closer to the tank as opposed to near the engine compartment?  Just curious.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is my first really big build.  I am used to original restorations where there is a map to follow.  Never really ventured this far from factory stuff...so I am learning as much as I can and having fun.

Thanks for the info...it is appreciated.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:39:22 AM by sdkar »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »
Looks like it is the same pump but I cannot guarantee that.  Call them to find out.

Electric pumps are better pushers than pullers, that is why you want it mounted in the rear.  The regulator has to be mounted near the carburetor.  Most people install it right in front of the dual feed line.  You will also need a pressure gauge.

Jerry

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:01:13 AM »
got my fuel pump and regulator...where is a good place to mount either of them.  Any chance of a pic of this to refer to?  Finally, what psi should I be running at with a 502 motor and an 850 double pumper holley?

Steve