Author Topic: Headliner recomendation and sun visor question  (Read 2753 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Headliner recomendation and sun visor question
« on: June 30, 2018, 01:42:53 AM »
I need to purchase a new black headliner for my '68.......I am looking for a manufacturer recommendation and have a sun visor question.

Any recommendations as to what manufacturer is making the most faithful reproduction of the original?........About four years ago, I had sample pieces sent to me by Legendary and TMI. The pattern in the piece from Legendary was not even close. The pattern on the TMI piece was close to the original but the finish was very dull like a matte black. The part of my original headliner that was tucked under and never saw the light of day has a nice sheen to it. Of course, a lot could have changed in four years (for better or worse.) I know PUI also makes them but I don't have a sample from them.

I know all of the major parts suppliers have headliners. Most don't mention the manufacturer and some say "made in USA." Prices range from around $75 to $100 and most include covered sail panel boards and sun visor material.......Then only exception was TMI which Summit carries and that was $129. That included the covered sail panels but made no mention of sun visor material.

When sun visors get recovered, do they re-use the old edge trim that is stitched around the edge.....or do upholstery shops have that stuff on hand?  I don't see where anyone sells it. The material on my original visors is in great shape but the stitching on the edge trim is disintegrating and it is coming loose.

Thank.......Dave

69z27z87

• The garage - my happy place
    • View Profile
Re: Headliner recomendation and sun visor question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
I did replace my headliner and the new material was really darn close to the old but I cannot remember who made it...

For the sunvisors... mine were exactly like yours. The guy installing the headliner just replaced the stitching on the sunvisor without taking it apart....With the old sunvisors and the new headliner, you cannot tell them apart in the car now....It will look much more original if you can avoid taking the visors apart.....
1969 SS396 - L35, Z87 Daytona Yellow, Yellow Houndstooth, Black Vinyl top
1992 Z28 - LB9 Purple Haze, T-5WC, grey leather interior

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 05:27:11 PM »
I got one from Al Knoch a few months back. I'll try to look at it tonight....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:59:55 PM »
For the sunvisors... mine were exactly like yours. The guy installing the headliner just replaced the stitching on the sunvisor without taking it apart.

Did they replace your edge trim?

If they didn't, I am curious how they would re-stitch the visor using the original edge trim. I doubt (but I could be wrong) that someone would hand stitch it putting the needle through the original needle holes.......but if they stitch it on a machine, they couldn't (and again, I could be wrong) match the origninal holes. I would think you would see all of the orignal needle holes and that wouldn't look so good.

Thanks.....Dave

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
I am interested in the binding question as well... the binding on my original sandlewood sunvisors is not the same color it as the headliner, it is tan VS headliner color sandlewood.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything