Author Topic: E-Brake Cables, With or Without the Rubber Boot?  (Read 2814 times)

68 RS Z/28

• View Profile
E-Brake Cables, With or Without the Rubber Boot?
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
I have been doing some work on the rear end of my 68 Z/28.  One item on the list is to replace the e-brake cables from the drums to the intermediate cable as the spiral wire on both sides has broken and on the left the inner cables are kinking as a result.  I looked at a bunch online but in the end ordered a pair from Inline Tube as I've been happy with some of their products used in the past.  I received the package in the mail today and, while the cables look pretty darn close to the originals, they have a rubber hose/boot about four inches long at the middle of each cable.  I didn't see any evidence of this rubber hose on the originals but then the car was over 30 when I got it so who knows?  I did a search of the forum and this topic has come up before in 2008, but the response simply indicated that Right Stuff Detailing had the correct cables without actually stating whether the boots are correct or not.  Unfortunately the Right Stuff website indicates they no longer have this product so I can't figure out from the old post what is or is not correct. 

I'm happy enough with the look of the cables from Inline Tube, but don't want to cut off the hose until I know for sure it shouldn't be there. 

Can anyone confirm whether the hose/boot is correct? 

Thanks.

Emo1956

• View Profile
Re: E-Brake Cables, With or Without the Rubber Boot?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Hi ,are you talking about the rubber hose that would protect the cable from rubbing on the leaf spring ?

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:56 PM »
Are the cables the same length as the originals on your car?  1968 thru '72 Chevelles have the rubber sleeve on them. To answer your question 1967 thru 1969 Camaros do not have the rubber sleeve on them.

- Warren

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:03:08 AM »
Are the cables the same length as the originals on your car?  1968 thru '72 Chevelles have the rubber sleeve on them. To answer your question 1967 thru 1969 Camaros do not have the rubber sleeve on them.

- Warren
Correct but many of us with Gen I Camaro's have added a rubber tube sleeve (I used a clear piece) where the cable rubs against the underbody.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
That's the intermediate cable that rubs the floor Chick.  Pretty sure he is talking about the e-brake cable that exits the backing plate to the bracket that's welded to the frame and then attaches to the intermediate cable by the way of the cable connectors.  I have some cables that were Chevelle & as Warren mentioned and they had the rubber isolator around the cable.  I would double check the length against your originals but I was thinking they are the same length and the intermediate was longer on the Chevelles..??.  Please confirm as I have slept since then.

68 RS Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Good Morning All.  Thanks very much for the responses below.  The Inline Tube cables I purchased are the ones that go from the rear drums to the welded bracket.  They look very close to original (ie 95%) and length was perfect but they had a ribbed rubber hose about four inches long right in the middle as you see in the photo provided by cook_dw.  I found a few photos of concourse quality cars that have been through the Legends Certification process at Carlisle and noted that none had the hose so based on that I carefully cut them off prior to installation.  Confirmation that these hoses were not used on first gen Camaros is greatly appreciated.  I had never considered putting a hose around the intermediate cable were it rubs the floor pan since it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but that's an interesting idea. 

Thanks again. 

anything