Author Topic: Trans Shifting Issue  (Read 9532 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Trans Shifting Issue
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:39:05 PM »
Decided to change trans fluid and put in "Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube"  SAE 75W-90  API GL-4.
Seem to work ok for a while then after a couple hundred miles it starts acting weird. Let me try to explain this correctly. Trans is Muncie M21.

SO, with the car warmed up, push in the clutch and it won't go in to first without EXCESSIVE pressure. Push like hell two or three times and it goes. This happens for 2nd gear also...Then out driving when you come up to a stop sign and begin downshifting, it falls in to 3rd, 2nd, and even 1st like butter! But ONLY if the car is moving!! Once you come to a complete stop, and it's a 6 way signal so ya throw it in neutral for the wait.. light turns green, push the clutch in, won't go in to 1st. However if the car is rolling even ONE mile an hour while down shifting, it drops right in to first gear. Now, once you GET it in to 1st while keeping the clutch depressed, it goes in and out no problem. Throw it back in neutral and let the clutch out, push it back in, won't go in to first. Read this twice before ya reply... ha ha  Linkage and clutch adjusted perfectly. If it wasn't it would bind all the time? Could it be the synthetic oil? Would like opinions before I change it out.  Danny

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: Trans Shifting Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »
Sounds almost like the three drive dogs on the synchro sleeve are worn, or out. Give us the rest of the story - how old is the trans, ever been freshened, have you tried selecting second or third before you try to select first (from a standstill). If the other synchros are good, then it points to the sleeve for first, obviously. Brass sleeve could be heavily worn, also, causing not enough friction to be able to slow the rotating gear mass down enough to select the gear. 

Before you start ripping things apart, drain the synthetic fluid out and go back to the recommended weight of conventional oil - worth a shot. What's the old saying, the simplest solution is the best solution ?

JMO,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
you should be running GL-4 Gear Lube in a Muncie.

Paul

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:02 PM »
First line states...This happens for 2nd gear also... So yes, it does happen for second also. Just won't go in without a lot of effort. Trans has 55,000 Original miles and looks pretty good inside. I put in a clutch and took some pic's of the inside. NEVER apart! Original tailshaft seal/shift seals/side cover gasket etc. New seals are leaking. I KNEW I should not have used that oil. I was going to put it in the Rear Axle and Engine also. But might just forget it and send it back. $254 worth of oil and rear diff additive! I got talked into it by a friend. Is it ok to use in the engine with solid lifters, or the rear posi axle?
Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »
Got the linkage adjusted well. Even fine tuned it after this picture. So it isn't that... Danny

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »
send it back. use conventional oil and gear lube.
Paul

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:13:15 AM »
Synthetic oil is probably so slippery the synchros will not work.  Drain and refill with conventional dinosaur oil.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 12:31:22 AM »
Jerry always said NEVER use synthetic in the Muncie.  I use it in my 302 engine but I add the ZDDP plus to it.  I don't know about the rear and would like to know if synthetic is ok in that as well.  BTW it's a posi if that makes a difference.
68Z28

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:55 AM »
The synthetics don't perform the same way... we have learned, tried them in multiple different 70's and older MT's and they do not shift right... the blockers or synchros don't slow down enough, it's as though the fluid does not cause enough drag due to low viscosity.

Newer transmissions are designed for use with low viscosity lubricants as the low visc lubes enable the vehicles to get better fuel economy.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:10 AM »
As others have mentioned, use conventional oil ONLY!

Drain out what you have and get some regular gear oil.  I get mine at NAPA. Does not have to be a big name high dollar brand.  It is $6.99 per quart around here.   PART # NOL 75210

Put in conventional gear oil and your problems will most likely go away.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 06:55:06 PM »
Let us know how it works out. I have a friend who went to synthetic late last year and ran into the same problem.He is sure the trans has got other problems and it is not the oil causing it. Parked it,has not driven it at all this year.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
Couple hundred miles just enough to dilute or wash off the old lube from the gears. You know what to do but the symptoms sound like low lube level.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
Ditto on the xmsn synthetic.....don't use it.  Conventional oil is better in old cars, including engine oil.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
I still can't believe I did this >:(  I was told this 3 or 4 years ago to never use it. I bet it's in the old post from the other car? I just can't remember things since the surgery. I was under 5.5 hours, and I must have moved a little during the thyroid and 3 tumor removal. Then the surgeon must have scolded the anesthesiologist and he turned the knob and overdosed me with goop. After that, I was dizzy for 91 days! I lost a little that day  :(

I KNOW it is full of oil. While filling it, it started coming out the fill hole. THEN I directed the nozzle to the tailshaft and cranked it 3 or 4 times. It was POURING out as I installed the plug.
Problem is how do I get it all out without pulling the trans? I can't get the side cover off and spray giant cans of carb cleaner in there to flush it down and out. I was going to drain it, then use the 80/90, then drive it for 10 miles, drain it again, add the 80/90 and see what happens. Or do that 3 TIMES! But won't the syn stick to everything? I better just pull it, drain it, spray it down. Flip it over a 5 gallon bucket like I did before. Rotate the assembly and keep spraying and bucket it again. Then add new oil and reinstall trans. SOB this sucks!!  Danny

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
I think you are overdoing it. Just drain it overnight, put the 90 weight in it and try it. Drive it through the gears when you do and let the oil get up in all the sliders,ect.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything