Author Topic: Auto or manual from the factory...can u tell...  (Read 10600 times)

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
Auto or manual from the factory...can u tell...
« on: February 11, 2006, 06:55:37 AM »
As i have posted in previous post i have a 68 thats missing the interior, including the pedal assembly and steering column. My question is...Can u tell by the transmission tunnel if a car was an auto or a manual? I do know this...it does not have the cutout for the muncie spedometer cable...so that scratches that option...but still leave the possibility of a saginaw or a 3spd on the floor...or and auto. Can u tell by the cutouts of the tunnel, or the remains of a tunnel in my case, lol? Also were there holes drilled in the tunnel if one ordered the console option or were they there and only used if the console was ordered. Ill post a pic of the remans of my tunnel tomorrow...but would still like to know.
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Re: Auto or manual from the factory...can u tell...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:58:46 AM »
Look at pg. 10 in the AIM UPC 0 A8.5. I believe all 3/4 speeds had the extra hole (3C)for the back-up lights.The wiring ran from the trans up through the firewall to the wiring under the dash inside the car.My 67 and 68 had this.They both had 3 speeds.The AIM references this for the and 3/4 speeds.This hole is about 1" and difficult to hide or remove,nobody would bother unless its a high end clone and a well informed Camaro guy.All the 4speeds had the extra speedo hole and the cut-out in the tunnel,auto's hand a single hole in the tunnel for the shifter cable unless you had the M11 option(this a rare option) it used a 3/4 speed cut-out.3 speed used the same speedo hole as the auto.That leaves the afore mentioned hole for the back-up lights without the extra speedo hole it would be a 3 speed.Without the hole for the back-up light it would be a auto.Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.  T

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Auto or manual from the factory...can u tell..
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »
Ok...this is where it gets confusing...my car is a potential L30/M20 car...as I was told by the only person who knew of the car before it was virtually stripped of eveything ... a local mechanic from where I bought an used to live. I am close friends with this fellow...however he states specifically that the car was a 327 with a 4bbl on it from the factory.. he says he replaced the origional. He cannot "recalect" is it was an auto or a manual...but he does remember the car because he sais it was a very sharp green and white camaro.

As i have been told on her if the car was an M20 car it had the saginaw 4spd. which used the same speedometer cable hole as the auto cars.

I dont have the book you refered to YET...just put in an order at ricks for all the factory manuals and a few resto books.

David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

dsherw00d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »
If your looking for a motor and trans for this L30/M20 combination, I may have it.  I think My 69 has a donor engine tranny from a 67/68 L30/M20.  It looks to be the 275hp 327 Saginaw combination.  I have not checked date codes or dug into the other stampings.  Engine is in good condition, but has not been run in maybe 20 years.  It has been inside so it's still pretty clean.  Has the oil filler tube in the manifold and the canister filter.

Engine 3892657
Heads 3890462

I would like to put a 396 in the car since it has all the SS badges, grill, hood, etc and make it a BB SS clone.

I do still have a quesiton from when I was lookign into the combinaton.  Was the L30 275HP 327 available with other trannys in the Camaro?  I see a ton of the 210hp 327s that have been upgaded, but not to many of the real L30s in Camaros.  One article I read estimated that in 67/68, less that 15k were produced?  GM didnt' track this option, so there is no way to know for sure.

-Dan

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:00:48 PM »
Get the assembly manual look for the extra hole.There's know way that i know to discern the 3sp from the saginaw 4sp.If everything is gone you can build it to your liking.   T

Creekside Z11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11:01 AM »
Maybe I've been missing something?

What is this manuel referance mean?

page 10  AIM UPC 0 A8.5.

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »
A.I.M= Factory Assembly Instruction Manual for 1968 Camaro pg.10 referrencing UPC 0 A8.5 it shows locations of the holes in the firewall as they relate to options. T

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
If your looking for a motor and trans for this L30/M20 combination, I may have it. I think My 69 has a donor engine tranny from a 67/68 L30/M20. It looks to be the 275hp 327 Saginaw combination. I have not checked date codes or dug into the other stampings. Engine is in good condition, but has not been run in maybe 20 years. It has been inside so it's still pretty clean. Has the oil filler tube in the manifold and the canister filter.

Engine 3892657
Heads 3890462

I would like to put a 396 in the car since it has all the SS badges, grill, hood, etc and make it a BB SS clone.

I do still have a quesiton from when I was lookign into the combinaton. Was the L30 275HP 327 available with other trannys in the Camaro? I see a ton of the 210hp 327s that have been upgaded, but not to many of the real L30s in Camaros. One article I read estimated that in 67/68, less that 15k were produced? GM didnt' track this option, so there is no way to know for sure.

-Dan

I might get up on you on that offer...but currently i am in the process of tracking down the origional engine... rumors lead me to believe its still kickin somewhere in corinth, ms.. i know alot of auto guys up there and surely i can track it down... yep the L30 also came with the PG...but when it come with a 4spd saginaw the car got a 12 boly and a rear brake proportioning valve.
David

anything